painted my rims

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

painted my rims

Postby doctahjones » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:23 pm

had plastidip on for quite awhile, but my original coat on my rims finally started to crack after 1.5 years.

since i like the black look i decided to paint. i went with the duplicolor wheel paint from advance auto. problem is, they discontinued it.

since i have a day job now (no more working from home) i can only do one at a time and it takes me a few days per rim.

i took off the plasti, which turned out to be harder than i figured. some areas peeled right off. others required a metal brush. since i was painting i didn't have a problem with 'scratching' the rims when getting the plasti off.

i then washed the rim, dried it, and put on a few coats of self etching primer. after that dried i then started with the (satin) black wheel paint. after that i used a clear matte final coat.

the first tire i did tape off, but after that i just used some acetone to take off any overspray from the tire.

started with the spare, which is why the tire is brownish compared to my regular tires that get frequent tire shine. also hard to tell that the spare is the paint and the mounted tire is plastidip. the plasti is more matte and has a very slight texture to it. wide angle lens also makes the spare tire look much bigger than the mounted tire...

a little dusty/dirty, but overall i'm pleased. i did have a couple paint run areas, but you have to really look to find them

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:28 pm

oh yeah and i have one more tire to do, so i'll try to take some shots of the process of removing the plasti and the prep work

not on the rug

wheels

Postby not on the rug » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:17 am

looks good. you're a patient man. it would drive me nuts to have to wait to do them one at a time

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”