vacuum leak?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Goliat6288

vacuum leak?

Postby Goliat6288 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 am

hey everyone,
the other day i was waiting for the gf and i decided to look under the hood to see how it clean it was since the last time i wiped it down. i noticed there was a hissing sound coming from te engine bay once i opened the hood. its coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. the reason im guessing its a vac leak is because on the millenia i used to have that usually meant a T was broken on one of the hundreds of vac hoses it had. i hear coming from somewhere near the bend on the intake. is there anything i can spray in that area that will help me locate the leak if there is one?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:20 pm

The plastic intake plenums don't insulate sound as well as aluminum one do. While I can't say you don't have a vacuum leak, I can tell you that the VQ40DE normally sounds like it does have a vacuum leak because of the plastic plenum. You can spray carb cleaner; just don't get carried away with it.

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:26 am

thank you for the reply.

if the VQ40 usually does have that sound i guess ill leave it alone. ill double check the hose that connects to it by the end of the bend. Makes me feel a little better that its a normal.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 am

when using any combustible aerosol or liquid to detect vaccum leaks, be sure to wear eye protection, and be sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand in the event of fire from the spray.
WD-40 also works.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”