Well I am stranded... I think the trans went out

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

porksoda

Well I am stranded... I think the trans went out

Postby porksoda » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Well I went on a 200 round trip ride today. On our way back home the Pathfinder just stopped going. Now my wife and I are stranded on the side of the road waiting for family to pick us up.
We just bought this Pathfinder from a dealership about 2-3 weeks ago.
It only has 89,700 miles exact when it died right now. We opt out of the extended warranty.

What is the next step I should take?

This is our first car and are very worried...

porksoda

Re: Well I am stranded... I think the trans went out

Postby porksoda » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:04 pm

porksoda wrote:Well I went on a 200 round trip ride today. On our way back home the Pathfinder just stopped going. Now my wife and I are stranded on the side of the road waiting for family to pick us up.
We just bought this Pathfinder from a dealership about 2-3 weeks ago.
It only has 89,700 miles exact when it died right now. We opt out of the extended warranty.

What is the next step I should take?

This is our first car and are very worried...
Also I checked all the fluids and nothing looks contaminated.

Is there any factory warranty that may be left?

Also you guys think that I could possibly call and add the extended warranty still if it comes down to that since we have only had the car for 12 days?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:39 am

A transmission would normally exhibit signs of shifting problems instead of just shutting down. It's probably something else. Did the vehicle come with any type of 30 day warranty? Many states require at least a 30 day 50/50 type warranty. I normally would never advise buying a warranty, particularly something that's going to be non-nissan.

Unfortunately, sometimes stuff just happens on cars this old. I wouldn't let one problem get me down too much.

houseofgrafix

Postby houseofgrafix » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 am

skinny2 wrote:A transmission would normally exhibit signs of shifting problems instead of just shutting down. It's probably something else. Did the vehicle come with any type of 30 day warranty? Many states require at least a 30 day 50/50 type warranty. I normally would never advise buying a warranty, particularly something that's going to be non-nissan.

Unfortunately, sometimes stuff just happens on cars this old. I wouldn't let one problem get me down too much.
new mexico has a 15 day / 500 mile warranty

I would find out first what is the problem and see if it was there when you bought the car

We had something like this happen when we bought a GMC from a local dealership in las cruces

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 am

houseofgrafix wrote:
skinny2 wrote:A transmission would normally exhibit signs of shifting problems instead of just shutting down. It's probably something else. Did the vehicle come with any type of 30 day warranty? Many states require at least a 30 day 50/50 type warranty. I normally would never advise buying a warranty, particularly something that's going to be non-nissan.

new mexico has a 15 day / 500 mile warranty

I would find out first what is the problem and see if it was there when you bought the car

We had something like this happen when we bought a GMC from a local dealership in las cruces
Thanks for the info guys! I am hoping it is something else. We got home about 4 am last night. My brothers came to pick me up with a trailer. Which I was like 100 miles away.

Also I bought the car in Lubbock,Tx.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:04 pm

What other problems do you think?
Anything I should check?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 pm

porksoda wrote:What other problems do you think?
Anything I should check?
Jeez it could be a lot of different things. I mean...you were just driving along and it turned off? No other lights or symptoms? What works? Does it crank? Does electronics come on?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:26 pm

skinny2 wrote:
Anything I should check?
Jeez it could be a lot of different things. I mean...you were just driving along and it turned off? No other lights or symptoms? What works? Does it crank? Does electronics come on?
Well it turns on fine. It just won't do anything in any gear. It doesn't matter if you put it in 4wd it doesn't do anything different.

I did let it sit all night and it just tried it now. It moved forward and backward a little but the RPMs had to be high to move. If that makes any sense.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:29 pm

skinny2 wrote:
Anything I should check?
Also I was just driving on the highway about 45mph and then randomly I hear the engine revving higher without the car going faster. So I pull over and sure enough the car would not move any more.
I let it sit for about an hour and I tried to move it and it went about half a mile before it stopped going again.
After that I had it towed home which was like 100 miles away.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I took some pictures now of the fluids to see what you all think.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:26 pm

How's the transmission fluid smell? I would expect it to be pretty bad if there's clutches burned up. Did you not get any warning lights or codes?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 pm

skinny2 wrote:How's the transmission fluid smell? I would expect it to be pretty bad if there's clutches burned up. Did you not get any warning lights or codes?
Well I smelled it and it doesn't smell burnt to me. Also no lights came on and I scanned it with my obd2 scanner and there are no codes.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 am

I called the dealership this morning and they are going to have a meeting with the management to see if they can do something. Overall they said more than likely they cannot do anything. I can just hope for the best. Also they said they will check to see if they can add the extended warranty on it still.
I did call a very reputable transmission shop and they said a full rebuild would be at most $2500. That will come with a 6 month/6000 mile warranty.

I'll keep you all up to day! Thanks everyone!

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 am

Transmission slipping and flaring is usually caused by a faulty transmission control module or a solenoid/valve body issue.

Fluid changes are usually part of a dealer's process of getting a car ready to sell. Unfortunately that won't tell you a lot about the history of the car.

I would tow it to your nearest Nissan dealership and let them tell you what's wrong. They'll check codes and give you a printout of the issue(s) and suggested work (there is a diagnostics fee). If it's a massive repair, take the printout to the place you bought it and see if they'll do anything. If they won't and you want them to, there are some options I won't get in to until you get there.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:47 am

Well good news everyone.

I called the Dealership this morning. They held a meeting to find a resolution for my problem. The manager of the dealership called me and told me that they will be sending a tow truck to come pick the Pathfinder up to get it repaired. From what they say it will be at no cost to me they said. Hopefully they stick to their word.

I purchased this Pathfinder 100 miles away from me. So they are coming to pick it up they said.

I feel a little better now.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”