My pathy moves to the left and right in the rear?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

robbykh

My pathy moves to the left and right in the rear?

Postby robbykh » Mon May 19, 2014 9:14 am

Does this sounds right?.

Why do I feel my pathfinder moves to the left and the right from the rear?.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon May 19, 2014 2:21 pm

pretty typical of worned out trailing arm bushings... Either buy complete trailing arm with the bushings already in (less time, more money), or buy only the bushings and change them (More time, less money)

S.

robbykh

Postby robbykh » Mon May 19, 2014 3:07 pm

If I buy the bushings kit is it hard to replace just the bushing and use my existing arms?.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon May 19, 2014 5:07 pm

It is a big task... You will most probably need some torch to flame out the old bushing. On top of that you will either need a 10-20 ton press to install the new ones... A zip gun also helps to remove the old sleeves.... It not a fun job....

S.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Fri May 23, 2014 7:44 pm

That's a bit dramatic. I had no problem removing the old bushings carefully with a sawzall and pressing in new poly bushings with a good size bench vise and a lot of grease.
"Ain't nothing too fat, too thick or too thin that KY jelly can't get in."

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Sun May 25, 2014 1:35 pm

I guess the job is less painfull when there is no rust involve.... I see you are in costa rica... so I doubt you have that... When rust comes in, the steel get bigger (swollen).. At that point the sleeve of the bushing become next to impossible to slide out.. You need to to torch it and a bunch of other steps to remove it....

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sun May 25, 2014 5:23 pm

No rust in Costa Rica? I do drive on the beach sometimes.
With a sawzall cut the sleeve very carefully lengthwise taking care to not cut and damage the link metal. Make a second cut 180 degrees from the first and collapse the sleeve with a hammer and chisel. Burning the rubber with a torch is messy and unhealthy but, certainly works also. I didn't have access to a torch
The sawzall also comes in handy for cutting the bolts to remove the links. I did all four links during the course of a day.
By the way, are you going to start selling the aluminum skid plates again?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Sun May 25, 2014 6:14 pm

By the way, are you going to start selling the aluminum skid plates again?
Working on it....

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 pm

If you purchase new, complete links by Dorman from Rockauto.com, they aren't too expensive and they have a lifetime warranty.

ryann

Postby ryann » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Replacing the trailing arm bushings is a little tough. I am actually in the middle of doing it on my '03 with 181K miles. I read many times that folks were having to cut through the bolts to get the links off. I am a hands on guy that happens to be a machinist and I thought, "I bet I can remove those bolts". Wrong. I had to cut them. I used a sawsall and cut through the edge of the bushing and the bolt. I suggest taking the arms to a machine shop to remove them for you. It took me about 20 min to set up and remove the bushings(we have a large motor driven hyd press). New bushing pressed right in. I bought the bushings from O'reilly for only $12/ea. I am only replacing the lower ones to start with. I suspect that they are causing most of the sway.

I had a hard time finding the 14 X 1.5 X 90mm bolts. I ended up purchasing 9/16- 18 x 3.5" bolts and lock nuts from McMaster Carr for $15(plus shipping).

In hindsight, I wish I would have just bought the whole kit from 4x4parts for $190 that comes with ALL bushings and bolts. I will have ~$70 invested in 4 bushings and 4 bolts/nuts. But if my upper link bushings are OK, then $70 is a pretty cheap fix.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 pm

While any of the bushings can fail, it's usually the ones in the upper link on the right side that seem to be the most prone to fail...or, in other words, to fail first.

ryann

Postby ryann » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:14 am

smj999smj wrote:While any of the bushings can fail, it's usually the ones in the upper link on the right side that seem to be the most prone to fail...or, in other words, to fail first.
I sure hate to hear that. I'm really hoping that the lower ones were the culprit in my case. They had by far the most movement.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:39 am

As common as a problem it is, I recommend replacing all of the links, or link bushings, in the rear. Considering how drastically they affect the handling, it's cheap insurance.

ryann

Postby ryann » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:42 am

smj999smj wrote:As common as a problem it is, I recommend replacing all of the links, or link bushings, in the rear. Considering how drastically they affect the handling, it's cheap insurance.
You are likely correct. Thanks for the suggestion.

ryann

Postby ryann » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:04 pm

I just wanted to report back that the lower bushings were definitely the main cause of death sway on my 03 Pathfinder. I don't plan on worrying with the upper bushings because it drives so well now. I bought this used with 180k on it, so I don't know if the uppers have been replaced before.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the poly bushing kit from 4x4parts that came with everything you need. As I stated before, I had to cut the bolts off and find new ones. After seeing how the bushings work, I can see why the std bushings will eventually fail due to the twisting of the rubber. From the looks of it, the poly bushings rotate on the sleeve and therefor don't twist the bushing itself which will eventually result in failure.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”