New problem today, VDC and SLIP...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

staynlean

New problem today, VDC and SLIP...

Postby staynlean » Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Driving along on the interstate and all the sudden the VDC off and SLIP lights both kick on in the instrument panel and stay on.

I stop at a gas station for a few things, re-start and they are both still on. Pushing the manual VDC button to turn it back off does nothing.

Also, it kicked on the SES light as well...

Any ideas guys?

I'm thinking it's a wheel speed sensor or the steering wheel position sensor (making the computer believe the wheels are slipping.)

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed May 28, 2014 6:16 am

You're probably right. Have you scanned it?

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Wed May 28, 2014 6:28 am

You're probably on the right track with your diagnosis.

If you don't have the ability to have it scanned, you can remove the wheel sensors to inspect, one may have some gunk on it which could be giving you the error. It's not uncommon for those sensors to go bad. You'll also note that you won't be able to engage 4WD.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Wed May 28, 2014 2:08 pm

I got it scanned today, here's what they got:

P0340, cam position sensor bank 1

P0463, fuel level sensor

I've known about my fuel level sensor problem, it's not working right. When I fill it up with gas the fuel gauge pegs at E for about 50 miles then slowly starts climbing. It throws the SES light in every time but it resets and goes off after about 200 miles or half a tank roughly.

Nissan said the we fuel unit is all part of the fuel pump assembly and costs nearly $500.00! Ouch!

I don't understand how either of these are causing the VDC and Slip lights to come on, anybody have suggestions?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 28, 2014 2:31 pm

staynlean wrote:I got it scanned today, here's what they got:

P0340, cam position sensor bank 1

P0463, fuel level sensor

I've known about my fuel level sensor problem, it's not working right. When I fill it up with gas the fuel gauge pegs at E for about 50 miles then slowly starts climbing. It throws the SES light in every time but it resets and goes off after about 200 miles or half a tank roughly.

Nissan said the we fuel unit is all part of the fuel pump assembly and costs nearly $500.00! Ouch!

I don't understand how either of these are causing the VDC and Slip lights to come on, anybody have suggestions?
fuel sending unit is available separately from the fuel pump
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-fue ... =6833_6834&

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Wed May 28, 2014 2:50 pm

^thank you, I am sure the codes are not related to one another. Like I said the fuel gauge deal has going on for a while now.

So, I'm going to buy the cam sensor and throw it on in the next day or so.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Wed May 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Also, I'm almost 100% sure I can see the sensor just barely, just want to make sure I'm going after the correct thing.

It's bank 1 so that is pass side and I know it's located in the back of the head facing forward.

I've been searching for a diagram of this but can't seem to come across anything convincing or of much help.

Where else could I look to verify?

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Wed May 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Just a small update, got the sensor in but had run to get to the office for work so I did not crank it to see if it fixed my problems.

I did it without taking anything else off like the intake or inner fender liner like some others have mentioned to make accessing it easier.

It was a bear, but just lay some thick towels down on too of the engine for padding then lay yourself down on top where you can get two hands down, one in each side of the engine, and take it from there. Hardest part is the actual wiring harness connector, it is also a bear to unplug and plug back up.

Will update tomorrow if this fixes my problems. Just posting to try and help others in the future as others have helped me a lot here.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Thu May 29, 2014 8:25 pm

All fixed*

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 31, 2014 4:55 am

When there is an engine performance issue, the traction control is disabled and the VDC/SLIP warning lights will illuminate. Toyota had this system on 4runners fifteen years ago. Now Nissan has it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”