noise in 2 wheel drive

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rpevans1

noise in 2 wheel drive

Postby rpevans1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:02 pm

HI I have a 2010 v6 le with 4x4. While driving in 2wd there is a subtle noise starting at about 2500 rpms, going to about 35 mph. It does not make the noise when in auto 4wd. Has anyone else had this ocurr to them? It's been to the dealer (Bedford Nissan in Ohio) 4 times and they can't diagnose it.
Thanks, robert

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:41 am

universal joint on driveshaft, probably the rear.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 am

hard to tell without a better description of the noise, but as disallow mentions, u-joint failure is fairly common
if it is a u-joint, I'd seriously question the competence of a service department who couldn't find it after 4 attempts

rpevans1

noise part 2

Postby rpevans1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:11 am

The sound is like a slight vibration that ends quickly as I reach over 40 mph. I really don't have much confidence in the dealers. I have to take my daughter back to school in about two weeks and the dealer said although he didn't know what the sound is it was safe for the highway. I am loking for another dealer in the surrounding suburbs to see if it can be resolved and fixed if necessary.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: noise part 2

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 am

rpevans1 wrote:The sound is like a slight vibration that ends quickly as I reach over 40 mph. I really don't have much confidence in the dealers. I have to take my daughter back to school in about two weeks and the dealer said although he didn't know what the sound is it was safe for the highway. I am loking for another dealer in the surrounding suburbs to see if it can be resolved and fixed if necessary.
i have NO confidence in dealers for the most part
all they want to do is easy basic stuff that makes money for them
they'll tend to avoid any diagnosis or potentially difficult (or unusual) repair because it will not pay as well
are you under any kind of warranty?
that sometimes makes it worse because it won't pay well, so they don't want to get involved
and how can they tell you that it's safe for the highway if they don't even know what's wrong with it?
if it is a u-joint, you could throw an entire driveshaft on the road
then what?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”