Spike in RPM's shifting from 4th to 5th

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

RedPathy

Spike in RPM's shifting from 4th to 5th

Postby RedPathy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello all,

Recently, my 05 Pathfinder has begun to slip or spike in RPM's shifting from 4th into overdrive. The strange thing is, this ONLY happens when shifting from 4th to 5th, and disappears when overdrive (5th gear lockout) is turned off. I did recently check both the radiator fluid and tranny fluid and they both look normal, as we have done the bypass already on this car. My question is, what on earth is causing this? Solenoid? Throttle position sensor? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks

Jthomas78

Postby Jthomas78 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 am

Mine is doing a similar thing. Between 50-70 on highway on very slight incline and trying to slightly speed up, I get a heavy shudder/shaking. If I let off gas it stops immediately. If I let off gas and I press the gas again, but a little harder to get it to go into 4th gear instead of 5th, it will speed up fine. Also, if I press the overdrive off button, I have no problems.

It's only at 50-70mph, and it's only at low rpms that it shudders and shakes. I've got 167,000 miles on pathfinder. Had ujoint replaced around 85k. Just replaced radiator and had transmission drain and fill last week for preventative maintenance. There was no sign of coolant in ATF.

Seems like others have listed similar problems and seems like it's either ujoint or transmission problem here. Can anyone give me some help or feedback as to how this can be fixed or diagnosed?

Thanks for any help! Redpathy, did you ever find what your problem was and what eventually fixed it?

RedPathy

Postby RedPathy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Jthomas78 wrote:Mine is doing a similar thing. Between 50-70 on highway on very slight incline and trying to slightly speed up, I get a heavy shudder/shaking. If I let off gas it stops immediately. If I let off gas and I press the gas again, but a little harder to get it to go into 4th gear instead of 5th, it will speed up fine. Also, if I press the overdrive off button, I have no problems.

It's only at 50-70mph, and it's only at low rpms that it shudders and shakes. I've got 167,000 miles on pathfinder. Had ujoint replaced around 85k. Just replaced radiator and had transmission drain and fill last week for preventative maintenance. There was no sign of coolant in ATF.

Seems like others have listed similar problems and seems like it's either ujoint or transmission problem here. Can anyone give me some help or feedback as to how this can be fixed or diagnosed?

Thanks for any help! Redpathy, did you ever find what your problem was and what eventually fixed it?
Glad to see I'm not the only one suffering from this! As for solutions, I haven't found one yet. Basically I just drive around all the time with O/D off. I'm at 133,000, and I'm guessing ours isn't a u-joint problem as it seems to happen at higher speeds. Seems like our transmission control module's are out of sync since the tranny doesn't know what gear to go into given engine load/speed/etc. But in all honesty I'm at a loss in terms of solutions.

Let me know if you find anything

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:21 pm

My rear u-joint failure only showed up at 45mph as a weird vibration.

RedPathy

Postby RedPathy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:52 pm

disallow wrote:My rear u-joint failure only showed up at 45mph as a weird vibration.
My problem truly doesn't feel like a u-joint issue, I'm stumped

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 pm

It only takes 10 minutes or so to check.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”