Intermittent starting problem

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:18 am

I'm not sure about the Pathy, but I dealt with a Chevy HHR that had an adequately working pump (running 45psi at idle instead of 50-60psi) but the fuel pressure regulator (thats built into the pump) was faulty and would let the pressure drop the second the pump turns off.

So, you turn the key on and the pump primes. Shortly there after, until you start the vehicle, the pressure goes to zero. Try to start, no fuel pressure, car wont start. If you timed it perfectly/quickly, you could link a prime and a start together and get it to limp alive.

The bad deal with the chevy was that *Everything* was built into the pump. FPReg, filter, sending unit, etc. Thing cost almost 300 bucks. But...made solving the problem really easy because everything that could have caused the condition was replaced in one unit.

I'm not saying this is your problem or solution, but its my recent experience.

adaco

Intermittent problem solved

Postby adaco » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:33 am

First, thanks to everyone who put forward their suggestions. Much appreciated. The problem turned out go be a plastic "dongle" on my keychain, that is the electronic key to the gate at my marina!

It was only discovered by a fluke, but it was the problem. It's signal interrupted the signal from my electronic ignition key...but why it would only do it once or twice in over say, 50 or more "starts" , is really odd to me.

Adaco

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Intermittent problem solved

Postby eieio » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am

adaco wrote:First, thanks to everyone who put forward their suggestions. Much appreciated. The problem turned out go be a plastic "dongle" on my keychain, that is the electronic key to the gate at my marina!

It was only discovered by a fluke, but it was the problem. It's signal interrupted the signal from my electronic ignition key...but why it would only do it once or twice in over say, 50 or more "starts" , is really odd to me.

Adaco
...........that IS bizarre.
thanks for letting us know what it turned out to be. :)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”