Tight Motor

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Tight Motor

Postby Kestral » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:38 am

My new to me 2012 PF V6 that I bought used and now has 15,000 miles seems to use no oil at all even if I run the oil to 7,000 miles. I think this is the tightest motor I have ever owned. Do most of you find the V6 oil consumption low? I don't usually run my oil to 7,000 miles but it is Synthetic and I want to have the oil analyzed to see what kind of shape the oil is in after a good hard use.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:25 am

my 05 with 155k miles consumes no oil whatsoever (at least its not noticeable). Owned since 59k miles, and switched to Mobil 1 synthetic immediately. Always done my own oil changes, usually with a FRAM (yeah yeah i know) filter.

No oil burning.
No timing guide issues.
No other noticeable problems, it runs as good as it did when we got her.

t

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:33 am

disallow wrote:my 05 with 155k miles consumes no oil whatsoever (at least its not noticeable). Owned since 59k miles, and switched to Mobil 1 synthetic immediately. Always done my own oil changes, usually with a FRAM (yeah yeah i know) filter.

No oil burning.
No timing guide issues.
No other noticeable problems, it runs as good as it did when we got her.

t
Actually Fram filters get a bad rap but I have used them for years and put many miles on my cars and trucks before I junk them. I usually use there top two models the Ultra that is a real well built filter actually considered one of the best on the market or I use the next model down can't recall what it's called off hand. My father runs the cheep orange can filter and before everyone says how bad they are he has run them for many years and usually gets 300,000 out of all his cars so if you think the Orange can is junk you may want to call and ask him first!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:40 am

Mine doesn't use a drop at 120k miles now. Initially I was going 7,000 miles between changes using synthetic (not particular about brand), but after 60k (warranty up) I've stretched it to 10k. Oil analysis shows no problems with this interval.

not on the rug

motors

Postby not on the rug » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:02 am

I've always found Nissan motors to be super tight. I had a '91 240sx with the KA24DE and it was a great motor, I had an '06 pathfinder that was great, and I had an '06 infiniti g35 that ran like a champ. the only motor I've ever had issues with was in an '02 maxima se. great car, fully loaded, every available option, 6 speed manual, etc. the VQ35DE motor in that car went through oil like you wouldn't believe. that motor was notorious for burning oil though

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”