Transmission fluid level check??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

khavel

Transmission fluid level check??

Postby khavel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 pm

First off, this forum has probably saved my 05's transmission. Just a couple weeks ago I found an article in this forum about the "bypass" procedure. I've had my 2005 SE OR 4wd for about 6 years now and have just 95K on the clock. I remember getting the letter in the mail a couple years back about the lawsuit against Nissan, but I hadn't had any problems and just filed it. So after reading the bypass post I freaked. I mean I'm driving around in an 05 with close to 100K.....literally a TICKING TIMEBOMB! So the first thing I did was look at my ATF and Coolant, perfect, thank god. Then I did the bypass opting to just omit the "cooler" in the radiator from the loop. A well respected Transmission shop in town told me the Aux trans cooler up front is more than suited to keep things cool enough (and we're in S. Texas!) so what a relief. NOW, I just want to check my level properly, but this is not the easiest thing to track down. Its got to be some big secret by Nissan just to check your level!! WTH??!! I looked at the service manual here but it only shows a few pages and thats it. Can someone tell me the proper way to check! THANKS!

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 am

khavel

Postby khavel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:44 am

thanks for the link but I actually need the procedure to check the level, I.E. on level surface, engine warmed up, engine running? or off?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:16 am

Service manual covers this in the TM section around page 181. Basically the dipstick has a cold and hot level check. Cold check is to start the engine, run the shifter through the gears and then check the level. It should be within the ok range on the cold side.

To check it hot, requires a transmission temp guage of some sort as you want to get the temps upto 175°F and then check it while the car idles and fluid drops down through 150°F.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Just take it for a drive and get the engine up to normal operating temperature and park on a level surface. Remove the 10MM head bolt securing the AT dipstick to the tube on the right side of the engine. Remove the dipstick, wipe it off with a rag, reinstall the dipstick into the tube fully, remove and check where the fluid is on the dipstick for the "hot" mark and top-off, if necessary, with NissanMatic Type "J" or "S" ATF or a recommended aftermarket ATF, like Castrol Mulit-import ATF or Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

khavel

Postby khavel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for the details. I just wasn't sure whether it should be running or not while I check it, thanks for clearing it up. Is the dealer the only place to buy the Matic S fluid (or online of course)? I checked it at normal temp the other day and the level read OK for the cold side but low for the HOT side, so I guess I'll need to top off, but it can't be too much low, I sure don't want to OVERFILL IT!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:58 am

A little bit of an overfill is not going to hurt it. To purchase NissanMatic ATF, you need to get it from a Nissan dealer, but it's expensive and not worth the cost. NissanMatic "J" and "S" are made by Castrol and is the same fluid as Castrol Mult-import ATF, which runs about $2-3 per quart less than the same stuff in a Nissan bottle and can be purchased at most auto parts stores and some department stores, like Walmart. I've used Valvoline Maxlife ATF for two years in two different R51's and have had no issues. I get it in a gallon jug from Advance Auto Parts for around $22, which is perfect because a drain and fill is approximately 1-gallon. NissanMatic Type "S" (which is Type "J" with better wear inhibitors) was running about $8-9 per quart the last time I checked.

khavel

Postby khavel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:42 am

thanks for the tip on the ATF recommendations. I'm scared to overfill, but when I check it in my garage (level surface) while at temp and running, the level is at the bottom mark on the 'HOT' side of the dipstick. When I turn it off and check it, the level looks right on. Do you know how much ATF it takes to move the level from the 'LOW' line to the 'FULL' line??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:38 pm

It should be about a quart, but start with a half-quart to be on the safe side.

khavel

Postby khavel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm

THanks! It was about 3/4 of a quart to put me just under the max fill line on the HOT side. I have never seen any sign of a leak but I did take it to fast lube type place 30K ago to do a transmission fluid exchange (didn't know any better at the time) and I'd bet they filled it based on the car turned off and warm, just a guess. How often do you do a transmission fluid change? Not towing much, but mostly stop and go?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:29 pm

The ATF is synthetic, so it can go a long time with normal driving. Nissan doesn't give a service interval; they just specify checking the fluid every 15000 miles. If the fluid appears discolored or dirty, obviously, that would be a good time to service it. Personally, I would recommend doing a drain and fill at least every 60000 miles. Since I have access to a fully equipped shop, I usually do a drain and fill every 30000 miles.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”