Weird steering "pulse" or tug to the right

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Sayantsi

Weird steering "pulse" or tug to the right

Postby Sayantsi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:47 pm

So this just started happening - jumped in the Pathy and started driving, and the steering wheel wants to be slightly turned to the right. When I straighten the steering wheel, it pulses, or jumps a bit, to the right, and puts the wheel back to a slight right turn. The truck of course then veers right.

So, it seems like an alignment issue at least in part, but I can't figure out what is causing the pulse. When I straighten the steering wheel out, it seems to jump twice per tire rotation with the slight tug, until it "settles" into being slightly off center to the right and the truck then goes right. Its definitely tied to speed too - go faster and the pulse/tug increases in frequency.

Front tire pressure is good, and I don't see any obvious signs of tire damage. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Check for play in the wheel bearings, tie rods and ball joints. If that looks good, as does the tires, have the wheel alignment performed. A "good" alignment shop will check those items prior to doing the alignment.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:47 am

Well I got the front wheels off this weekend and poked around. The driver's tire actually has a slight bulge in the tread - looks like belt damage to me. The tires are near end of life, so I guess I'll order some new tires and TPMS, since that is another project on my list.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems the previous owner replaced the OEM spare with a full size 5th tire that matches what's on the truck now, so I was happy about that.

Thanks for the reply!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:01 pm

I get Dorman TPMS sensors from Rockauto.com. They run about $45 each and have a lifetime warranty.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 am

Sayantsi wrote:Well I got the front wheels off this weekend and poked around. The driver's tire actually has a slight bulge in the tread - looks like belt damage to me. The tires are near end of life, so I guess I'll order some new tires and TPMS, since that is another project on my list.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems the previous owner replaced the OEM spare with a full size 5th tire that matches what's on the truck now, so I was happy about that.

Thanks for the reply!
About your spare tire, it depends on the model. I have an 08 LE v8 and had a matching spare. I say had as the first time I put tires on the pathfinder I swapped out rims.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 am

My 06 LE has a full-size spare with matching alloy wheel. My friend's 08 SE has a full-size spare, but has a steel wheel rather than a matching alloy wheel.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”