Snowflake Certified Tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Snowflake Certified Tires

Postby disallow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 am

Our government owned car insurance company has come up with a new program to get more vehicles on the road to be equipped with 'Winter Tires'. The criteria to be in the program is that the tire needs to be 'Snowflake Certified'. Criteria is laid out on the following webpage:

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Rd-Safety/Winte ... rview.aspx

Basically, its a low interest loan to get tires. Seeing as I need tires, I'm thinking about going forward with it.

I noticed that General Grabber AT2s have the snowflake for the size I want. Any others I should consider?

Another question. Right now I run LT265/75/16 on the truck. I like the way it sits. However, I noticed there is a 10lb per tire difference between what I have now and the factory size of P265/70/16.

Is 40lbs of unsprung weight worth it? Looking for opinions.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 am

The goodyear adventures if purchased in the LT will come with the snowflake. I had their predecessor, silent armors, on my 99 Grand Cherokee before with the LT and they were snowflakes. Loved those tires enough that I just replaced my worn out duratracs with the adventures. I ended up going with the P rating and didn't get the snowflake.

Also my duratracs that I just replaced had the snowflake as well. Great tires, just thought I'd save a little cash and buy the adventures instead of the duratracs again.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:28 am

I really don't think it would be worth it to go to the LT 265/75/16 over the 265/70/16 if we are talking about the General Grabber AT2. And just for the weight factor alone. For a few reasons.. The negitave effect on fuel economy the more wear and tear on the suspension and also your truck will be more responsive with the smaller tire being lighter and also a little smaller the tire will have less effect on the overall gearing. If the 265/75/16 tire was not an "LT" tire and it was lighter overall that would be different. In the case of the Gen Grabber I see no benifit to going to the larger tire I say stay with the 265/70/16.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 am

In another post, I mentioned the recently released Consumer Reports (Nov. 1014) rankings for All-season and All-terrain tires and listed their "recommended" tires. They also have a list of "Winter" tires and three of those are "recommended" as follows:

1-Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2
2-Continental ExtemeWeatherContact
3-Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV

The mentioned the Michelin provided excellent snow traction and ice braking, along with good handling, excellent rolling resistance and a comfortable, quiet ride. It was the only one that offered a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty and their it exceeded that by more than twofold in their tread-life test.
They didn't mention if they were "snow flake certified," in the article. Being winter tires, I would think they would be, but you may want to check.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:20 pm

I should mention that I would like the tires I get to be good for all year round, AND have the snowflake.

I realize there are certain sacrifices made to accomplish this.

But with the Generals, I am having a hard time seeing any negatives.

I tend to agree with Kestral's comment, but am hesitant. I remember the first time I took my 05 out after getting some Bridgestone Dueller REV02 LT265/75/16s on it, coming from the previous P265/70/16 Cooper Discoverers. HUGE difference. Felt so sure-footed. But I'm not sure it that was due to moving from an A/S to A/T tire more than from a P to a LT tire. Maybe a bit of both?

t

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:32 pm

I know that some tire company's as well as tire shops offer a 30 day test drive. This may not help telling you how they are in the snow but at leased it will give you an idea how a size difference will handle, ride, etc.

In thinking about this for a bit now I still think the advantages (with the Gen AT2) in 265/70/16 outweigh the larger size for your application.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm betting the Generals will wear pretty quickly. There are some Nokians that are "all-weather" tires that have the snow flake. I had very good luck with them on a car before but they did wear pretty fast even with the all-season/all-weather rating. I was thinking the Goodyear Tripletread has a snowflake rating too but they were also pretty heavy last time I looked.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:24 pm

The Generals come with a 96k km warranty. nobody else offers anything...

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 pm

volvite wrote:I had their predecessor, silent armors, on my 99 Grand Cherokee before with the LT and they were snowflakes. Loved those tires enough that I just replaced my worn out duratracs with the adventures. I ended up going with the P rating and didn't get the snowflake.
Huh, that's odd. I bought SAs late last year, which I thought were replaced by the adventures, and I have a snowflake on P rated tires. The tires, btw (bought partly on your recommendation, volvite!) have been outstanding. Look and ride like new after 10k in all conditions.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 pm

leadpig wrote:
volvite wrote:I had their predecessor, silent armors, on my 99 Grand Cherokee before with the LT and they were snowflakes. Loved those tires enough that I just replaced my worn out duratracs with the adventures. I ended up going with the P rating and didn't get the snowflake.
Huh, that's odd. I bought SAs late last year, which I thought were replaced by the adventures, and I have a snowflake on P rated tires. The tires, btw (bought partly on your recommendation, volvite!) have been outstanding. Look and ride like new after 10k in all conditions.
The SAs have been replaced by the adventures according to most tire websites and tire stores. I know there are a few places that you can still buy them until stock is depleted. I know I had the snowflake on my LTs but I didn't think they had them on the P rated tires. I guess maybe that's one of the changes for the adventures as the P tires I have on don't have the snowflake. However when I was at the shop I did see the LTs and they still have a snowflake.

One more way we can all be confused on tires when we purchase them. :lol:

khavel

Postby khavel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:44 am

The BFG All Terrain T/A's I just put on mine had the 'snowflake'

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Now I'm in a quandary. Last year, I remember the generals going on sale like every other week. This year when I actually want them they are regular price which is just over $1000 out the door, and the sales guy said they weren't planning on a promotion any time soon.

This week, the Duratracs are on sale, for $750 out the door.

What to do, what to do. The sales guy was trying to talk me our of the Duratracs. Said they were way too aggressive and I'd be better served with the generals. I'm inclined to agree but they look so cool! (the Duratracs) .

Note that I am looking at the P265/70/16 size in both tires. The generals have a 96000km warranty and the Duratracs have a 50000km warranty.

My other option: I have 2 really good bfg a/t ko's I bought used in my garage. I could buy another 2 new ones and be out the door for about $500.

Help! :)

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm

I loved the duratracs I had. I only went away from them to save some money.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:09 pm

I feel your pain man I was going to get the General AT's but missed the sale I was going with the 265/70/16. The more I thought about it though the more I realized from experience that the stock size of 245/75/16 will have better winter traction. I realized this on my Jeep some years ago yes the 245/75/16 size does not look as good as the 265/70/16 but it does bite better given the same tire. After lots of thought and talking to many people I went with Mastercraft AXT AT tires in 245/75/16. This tire is made by cooper tire and is a pretty aggressive AT tire with lots of siping per tread. It is not snowflake rated but that did not worry me as I have had both types of tires and I have had standard M&S rated tires that were better then snowflake rated tires so I don't get so hung up on this rating anymore. By the way the Mastercraft tires set me back $135.00 each including installation Not a bad price either.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:15 pm

volvite wrote:I loved the duratracs I had. I only went away from them to save some money.
What did your wife think of them? From a noise/road manners perspective...

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”