AirLift 1000 Install/Setup Question

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

AtlantaRuffian

AirLift 1000 Install/Setup Question

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks to you all, I've gone and bought the AirLift 1000 kit. That company should pay this site for such good advertising.

I'm hauling a trailer 600 miles next weekend and from what I gather, the kit makes the difference in towing with a PF like night and day.

My questions to all the AirLift owners out there are:

1.) Install seems pretty simple; did any random issues present themselves during your install or do you have any tips that'll make it even easier than it looks?
2.) Do you have the bags connected by a single pressure line or did you separate them?
3.) What PSI do you keep them at for day to day driving and what do you set them at for towing?

I look forward to joining the ranks of all the AirLift alumni on here and am hoping I can use the magic of the internet to find someone/somewhere that has some jack stands and floor jack I can use to avoid having to pay someone to do it...

Thanks in advance for your answers!

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Follow up question:

Where do you have your air intake/release valve(s) mounted and how did you mount it?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Re: AirLift 1000 Install/Setup Question

Postby volvite » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:31 pm

AtlantaRuffian wrote:Thanks to you all, I've gone and bought the AirLift 1000 kit. That company should pay this site for such good advertising.

I'm hauling a trailer 600 miles next weekend and from what I gather, the kit makes the difference in towing with a PF like night and day.

My questions to all the AirLift owners out there are:

1.) Install seems pretty simple; did any random issues present themselves during your install or do you have any tips that'll make it even easier than it looks?
2.) Do you have the bags connected by a single pressure line or did you separate them?
3.) What PSI do you keep them at for day to day driving and what do you set them at for towing?

I look forward to joining the ranks of all the AirLift alumni on here and am hoping I can use the magic of the internet to find someone/somewhere that has some jack stands and floor jack I can use to avoid having to pay someone to do it...

I can only answer a few of your questions. I bought my 08 LE V8 February of 2011. It was a CPO and once I returned from my deployment in Oct of 2011 I was planning to do some towing and found out about the airlift. I ordered a kit and when I went out to put it on, found out there was already an air kit installed. So..
1) I didn't install my air kit so I can't answer it.
2) I have my bags on two different air lines. Theory behind this is, if they are on the same line when you go into turns the air would then transfer from one bag to the other reducing their effect on stabilization.
3) Day to Day I keep the bags around 15-20 Psi. When towing it will depend on how heavy the trailer is but last year when I towed a 7k lbs travel trailer I had the bags at 40 which help keep the rear end from sagging and made it tow the TT great.

Here's a few pics...

ShipFixer

Re: AirLift 1000 Install/Setup Question

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:44 am

AtlantaRuffian wrote: 1.) Install seems pretty simple; did any random issues present themselves during your install or do you have any tips that'll make it even easier than it looks?
A little bit of soapy water helps.
I've run mine both ways. There's a little bit of cornering difference in switching from a single line to two lines, but not that much. It's less noticeable than replacing your sway bar bushings for instance.
I run 5-10 psi for daily driving. More than that and it's noticeably over sprung. It starts to feel like an unloaded 3/4 ton pickup. I have noticed that even at 0psi but capped it will prevent the rear from bottoming out harshly over bumps (the main reason I got the springs in the first place).

With a load in the back I've run up to 20-30 psi. I don't tow but I have had 3-4 mountain bikes on a large hitch rack (guessing 120-150 lbs on the hitch) plus three or four passengers and gear for a backwoods trip.

Using a ruler and measuring suspension sag, I've found 30 psi puts the rear suspension back where it would be unloaded with 0-5 psi, or where it should be.

When you jack up the side you're working on and remove the spare, there's enough room to sit under the truck and work on it. It's pretty simple. Hardest part was slipping the bags through the coils, but even that wasn't too bad.

Make sure you avoid routing the airlines close to the exhaust, heater lines, or anything else like that. I routed mine over the frame crossmember that the spare tire hoist is mounted to so it would be well over the exhaust.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 am

1. It's pretty easy.

2. Separate. Originally I had them together but switched as it felt better for cornering.

3. I run them around 18 and like the firm feel. The handling is much improved and I drive a lot of very curvy/rough roads so that's what I go for. Around town it would be a lot more comfortable on a lower setting I'm sure.

4. I have mine mounted inside the storage compartment in the cargo area. I get into a lot of snow/salt/dirt and wanted to keep the valves clean. Plus it's easy to access. The only downside to that is if you have a load of cargo covering the compartment it would make adjusting the pressure difficult. So I just make sure I set them before loading the cargo, which is recommended anyway.

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the input!

I think I've settled on running the bags on separate lines to have constant equal pressure between the two.

As for the valve mounting, I modified a steel bracket from the local building supplies store so it attaches to one of the existing holes for the 7-pin adapter. On the adjacent arm of the bracket, I drilled two holes to the size of the valve stems. I went through about 5 different attempts before I was satisfied with the final product so I'm going to paint it to match the hitch receiver in the morning.

I also bought a small compressor that'll be powered by the 12V outlet in the cargo area for easy adjustments.

The kit's supposed to arrive tomorrow and I fully intend on throwing those suckers on the minute the package arrives.

If anyone's interested, I'll post the pics I take of the install.

Thanks all for the feedback!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 pm

I settled on a happy medium of 13 PSI, using separate valves. If you don't have one already, I highly recommend a digital air pressure gauge. It doesn't take much air to shoot the pressure up in those air bags! Also, re-check and adjust the air pressure the next day, as needed. It's pretty normal to drop a couple of pounds of air pressure the first day after you install them.

wilmingtonpath

Postby wilmingtonpath » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:29 pm

My Airlift 1000 is about to be shot. Any suggestions on constant squeaking. Have tried every lubricant there is. Tried 35psi in the bags for a week to try and stretch. I have heard sanding the springs may work. Have not had the time to do so yet. I have rancho spacers in the rear too at the top it seems as if maybe the plastic like spacer is creating noise on the rubber bag? Any help would be appreicated!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:26 pm

I haven't had any problems with noise on mine, so maybe it is the Rancho spacers? Maybe cut a piece of leather to place between them as an insulator?

wilmingtonpath

Postby wilmingtonpath » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:36 am

I will have to try and cut fit an insulator, not a bad idea to try. I wanted to put my spacers on the bottom of the spring but with all that arm movement and being offroad, I dont want to shoot that spacer out

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:10 pm

If you are doing any serious off-roading, I believe most are airing-down the air bags to get better articulation of the rear suspension.

wilmingtonpath

Postby wilmingtonpath » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:45 am

So still no luck, I guess my next question is are most people with Airlift1000 and rancho spacers placing the spacers on top or on the bottom of the coil? And are there any issues?

wilmingtonpath

Postby wilmingtonpath » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:51 am

If anybody cares, sanding (80 grit) the inside of the rears springs did the trick. More friction now I guess. No more squeak.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Wow I never would have figured that would take care of it. That's great that it worked.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:25 pm

When they are brand new and your first install the bags how long are you supposed to keep them at 35psi ?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”