PRG motor mounts

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

PRG motor mounts

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Got the passenger side complete tonight before I had to leave the garage...already better :-D Driver side is going to take a little more work since it's hidden behind the front differential.

I used the install directions from here, which are really good:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... rerid=1595

Anyone else try these? With just one a lot of the rattling in the engine compartment at idle is gone. It's also a lot more responsive to throttle tip in...

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:58 am

The drivers side is a much bigger PITA bit it's done. Like it a lot...a little different vibration in the cabin at idle but the truck is much improved on throttle.

2WD both sides would be easy...you can detach or loosen the lower bracket on the engine block holding the bottom of the mount in place to get the mounts in and out. On the driver's side the front differential is squarely in the way. You may be able to get to it with universal joints but I couldn't. Ended up using a lot of pry bar leverage and asking someone else in the shop to go under the truck and tap the center bolt into place while I pried it into place.

One thing that's mentioned on the XTerra site is how long it take to torque down the center bolt from the bottom. This is because the mount has a round depression where the bottom of the stock mount would go. The PRG mount has those large aluminum disks so it sits up over that depression on one side. The reason it's taking them so long to torque it down is you're bending the metal a little bit in that bracket. It works fine, but it would be nice if it was flush in contact when under compression.

An easy solution is an M12 washer. I may go back and put that on the passenger side, but there's no way I was going to get it wedged in underneath the mount on the driver side since it took so much effort to get it in with the bracket still attached to the engine.

ShipFixer

Re: PRG motor mounts

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:51 am

Revisiting this one in 2023. I noticed my passenger side motor mount looked like a mushroom, and my truck is vibrating at idle a bit more these days. I thought "surely not..." but then Googled around and saw it had melted for some other users. I suspect we all did not re-install the Nissan heat shield like the original How-To said, but...whatever, here we are.

PRG doesn't sell the polyurethane inserts. But, some internet detectives found that they are in fact a bulk ordered transmission mount part that PRG just built metal plates around: "Energy Suspension Transmission Mount - 4.1101G"

I ordered a pair and have them in hand. Looking back at the original how-to jogged my memory about leaving out the heat shield, so I ordered two new ones from Nissan for about $5 plus shipping total. Will pop those in soon as I repeat all the other things I did 100K miles ago...

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:46 pm

Thanks so much for an update.
I find the revisit to an install, really handy.

I'm actually going to do these now.

I am getting vibration and these seem to be one of those things that are not all that easily visible as a problem until you take them out and have a good look at them. For the cost, and the handy link on the how-to, makes this an item to take care of.

I'm a bit nervous on getting other than the non-standard versions of the mounts. I find any increase in NVH a pain even if it is slight.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:43 pm

Well...I have some good news for you then, some of my vibration was really just aging ignition coils. I pushed the button on Z1 upgraded coils, installed tonight, and poof...engine is smoother across the RPM range again. There is a bit more vibration at idle with the PRG mounts but it's not the irritating kind.

I still need to replace mine but it's no longer something I need to do ASAP. I did get new heat shields as they're something like $4 each, so those will go back on.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”