07 R51 - Current Issues

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Alkan

07 R51 - Current Issues

Postby Alkan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:52 am

Hi all! Nice to find a forum of Pathfinder enthusiasts, it's such a great vehicle.

Anyways, I'm having a couple issues. The suspension seems to be "loose." That is, when you go over a bump, it doesn't dampen the bounce of the suspension appropriately.

Also, I get vibrations at highway speeds between 70-77 MPH.

Any ideas? Also, keeping repair costs low is a factor.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: 07 R51 - Current Issues

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:01 am

Alkan wrote:Hi all! Nice to find a forum of Pathfinder enthusiasts, it's such a great vehicle.

Anyways, I'm having a couple issues. The suspension seems to be "loose." That is, when you go over a bump, it doesn't dampen the bounce of the suspension appropriately.

have you tried the "search" feature?

Alkan

Postby Alkan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:40 am

eieio wrote:
Alkan wrote:Hi all! Nice to find a forum of Pathfinder enthusiasts, it's such a great vehicle.

It's a bit of a catch-22, isn't it. You either necro a thread or can't post a topic because it's been posted before.

And yes, but I didn't find the specific issues: simply generalized issues that are possibly the same thing, but I don't know if they're the same.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 am

Alkan wrote:
eieio wrote:

It's a bit of a catch-22, isn't it. You either necro a thread or can't post a topic because it's been posted before.

And yes, but I didn't find the specific issues: simply generalized issues that are possibly the same thing, but I don't know if they're the same.
not really a Catch 22
old threads get resurrected all the time, and a new topic can be started anytime
but it's sometimes frustrating that though we have a treasure trove of info, experience, and advice here on the forum, in addition to a complete factory ESM, that people continue to ask the same question over & over again, often without doing at least a bit of research on their own beforehand
i just did some simple & very general searches on your topics' "key words" and came up with a bunch of posts & topics related to your questions
anyway, to get you started, "loose suspension" complaints are usually always a result of worn/leaking shocks, and/or shot rear springs
if your shocks are OK, a set of rear shock air bags can be very helpful, as the rear springs become weak very soon after new
high speed vibrations are usually bad u-joints or (less frequently) worn wheel bearings
as far as keeping repair costs low, fortunately most of these items are not that difficult to remedy, labor is not intense, and replacement parts are not hugely expensive
how many miles on your truck and how long have you had it?
BTW: welcome to The Nissan Path :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:46 am

Vibration can be caused by a number of things. Most likely is that the wheels are out of balance or possible bad tire. Bad driveshaft U-joints are a common problem on the R51.

"Loose suspension" is a bit general and tough to diagnose without being able to drive the vehicle for oneself. The R51 is characteristically unsettled when driving over bumps or bumpy roads, as are many body-on-frame SUVs. The rear suspension, in general, is pretty weak. If shocks and struts are worn, it won't help. The stock front struts, which are essentially KYB G2/Excels, are actually pretty good. The stock rear shocks are often upgraded to monotube shocks, with Bilstein HD's being the most popular choice. Adding Airlift 1000 air bags to the rear is also another popular upgrade that is inexpensive, easy to do and makes a big difference in ride and handling, including eliminating the "bottoming out" of the rear suspension that occurs on these vehicles over bumps. The original front sway bar bushings can wear. These bushings were updated by Nissan and while the usually issue is noise, some have claimed the new bushings have made the handling better, as well. Making sure the wheel alignment is in spec also has a considerable impact on handling and ride. Same goes for the type of tire you have.

Alkan

Postby Alkan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Thank you both.

Sorry for the sort of flippant initial reply... I was in a bit of an unusually bad mood this morning.

Anyways, I really do appreciate the answers, these replies give me a lot more confidence in keeping and maintaining the vehicle. :)

In fact, you guys just made my day.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Alkan wrote:Thank you both.

Sorry for the sort of flippant initial reply... I was in a bit of an unusually bad mood this morning.

Anyways, I really do appreciate the answers, these replies give me a lot more confidence in keeping and maintaining the vehicle. :)

In fact, you guys just made my day.
you're welcome
they're great trucks!
has yours been by-passed? :shock:

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”