Roof Lights!

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Roof Lights!

Postby DanJetta » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:48 pm

I was inspired by Hydroponix and installed two 10" roof lights. Ran the wires through the bar, into the roof rack bracket, through the roof and down the interior a-pillar. There's a little bit of wind noise but not too much. I made the bracket low profile and only two bolts to remove it.

I'm not sure how much I love it yet but we'll see. The intensity of the beam definitely makes it a challenge to see down the road unless it's a super clear night. I ordered a bull bar, so I might be moving them down. Man, I just love the way they look on the roof, though.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:19 pm

The lights do look great on the roof, I understand that when its foggy out you are going to very limited on vis. With experence driving emergency vehicles in all weather, fog is the worst at night and doubles with LEDs. At times I shut down the major LED emergency lights so I can see. For LED lights are best on the brush guard and position them lower to the ground as far as you can. The light will travel better and light up reflective painted lines or reflectors.

I would leave them and buy more with the guard + Guards and lights look great on the R51

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:16 am

I'd add another between the two

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:20 am

I have a set of 10" Rigids that I'm going to put on the bull bar.

I can definitely see why you'd turn the emergency lights off in bad weather. Those things are crazy bright, flashy and they go in every direction. Yikes!

I started with Rigids. These are the $100 Tuff lights which are slightly less intense than the Rigids. The Rigids' beams were way too hindering. Definitely more of a bumper light. These are borderline.

Funny, lighting your truck is like a tattoo addiction — you start with a little one and, before you know it, you're covered and old people run away from you.

nismofan

Postby nismofan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:58 am

Looks good. Do you have a closed up pic of the bracket? I'm thinking of this mod but using the Rigid.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:52 pm

I removed it to repaint the bar. I'm putting it back on this weekend and I'll post some close up pics.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Looks great! What did you do for a bracket, i can hardly see it, you did a really good job btw

DanJetta

Roof Lights!

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 pm

I think someone wanted a close up of the bracket, so here they are. Wish I had a welder.

View of bar from behind. Cables are all run through the bar and the hole in the center rear is capped with a rubber cap now.

This is how it's connected to the sides. 2 screws to hold the bar to the aluminum bracket is overkill. I have since removed one and it's rock solid. The cable runs through the bar and into the plastic end cap via a hole where the bar meets the plastic. You see no cables when everything is installed.

There's a tiny harness that I can unhook when removing the bar. Say, for example, when I'm on a road trip and don't want to listen to the wind storm these lights create on top of my roof – or if I'm going to meet some friends and I don't want to hear a million jokes about "spotlight deer hunting" or being a doomsday prepper. I like that it comes off with two screws and a clip.

I do like the way they look!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”