Problem with 4x4?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Problem with 4x4?

Postby Kestral » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 am

Today durring a snowstorm here in the northeast I was visiting my local bank and I pulled into the parking lot and decided I was just too close to the car next to me so I put my Pathy in reverse (locked in 4x4 at the time) and my truck jumped like it was in 4x4 low range! I applied the brake and it did not want to stop or like it resisted stoping. After traveling several extra feet in reverse it stopped so I put it in drive and same thing it jumped like it was in low range and again after applying the brake the truck moved several more feet like it was in a low gear? It was strange. My question is is it possible for the truck to be in 4x4 high and jump to 4 low on its own without turning the switch to 4 low?

labsy

Re: Problem with 4x4?

Postby labsy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Kestral wrote:My question is is it possible for the truck to be in 4x4 high and jump to 4 low on its own without turning the switch to 4 low?
I'd say NO, it's not possible, especially if there was no indication of 4LO on dashboard.
What I'd check first would be coolant and transmission ATF fluid for cross contamination. Also check ATF level (warmed up, 15 minutes driving, then check level with ATF dipstick when engine is still running). If both fluids are clean and ATF level is appropriate, you can probably breathe easier.

but still better check for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), either by yourself with some ELM OBD2 adapter from eBay and Android/iPhone, or during visit to your local garage.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:54 pm

I will check for codes I am not worried so much about cross contamination at leased not yet the Pathy is a 2012 with only 20,000 miles.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”