TPMS flashes, vdc and slip light on quick question

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

BlueTJMCRT

TPMS flashes, vdc and slip light on quick question

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 am

2008 4.0 SE

TPMS light started flashing on me and the VDC and SLIP button will come on and stay on until I restart the vehicle.

The tire pressure is perfectly fine. I'm assuming that the TPMS sensor going bad on the driver side tire will cause the VDC and SLIP lights to come on? I'd like to have it replaced but wanted to make sure I'm not looking at a bigger issue here......

any input?

Just had it scanned...

Codes

C1142
C1116

U1000

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: TPMS flashes, vdc and slip light on quick question

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:42 pm

BlueTJMCRT wrote:2008 4.0 SE

TPMS light started flashing on me and the VDC and SLIP button will come on and stay on until I restart the vehicle.

The tire pressure is perfectly fine. I'm assuming that the TPMS sensor going bad on the driver side tire will cause the VDC and SLIP lights to come on? I'd like to have it replaced but wanted to make sure I'm not looking at a bigger issue here......

any input?

Just had it scanned...

Codes

C1142
C1116

U1000
The codes have nothing to do with the tire pressure sensors or TPMS warning system. The C1116 is for the stop lamp switch circuit, which transmits to the ABC actuator assembly. The C1142 is a pressure sensor code for the ABS systems. First, make sure the brake fluid level in the master cylinder is full. If it is, chances are you'll need an ABS actuator, which runs about $1300 for the part. However, I wouldn't go replacing it without going through the proper diagnostic steps, which you may not be able to do unless you have the equipment to do so. It could also be one of the pressure sensors, which run $250 each and screw into the bottom of the master cylinder or even a wiring problem. The U1000 code is a CAN COMM error (controlled area network communication), which refers to the communication that takes place (or, rather, lack of) between the various control units.
There is a Nissan TSB which addresses ABS/VDC CAN diagnosis which should be looked at; it's Nissan TSB #NTB10-145. You can download it from the "knowledge base" at NissanHelp.com (search under keyword "abs") or I can send it to you, if you e-mail me at [email protected] (put "RE: NTB10-145 request" in the subject line).
There was a reprogramming available for the C1142 on Armadas and Titans, but I don't know if it applied to the Pathfinders, as well.
As far as the TPMS light flashing, it could be part of the U1000 CAN COMM issue or a separate problem on its own.
You might find this links helpful, as well:

C1116 diagnosis:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldatadiy/DI ... /178000436

C1142 diagnosis:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldatadiy/DI ... /178006122

U1000 TSB:

http://engine-codes.com/uploads/nissan/NTB06-009a.pdf

BlueTJMCRT

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks for all this great info. The only reason I asked if the TPMS can cause this is because I brought my Pathfinder into discount tire and they reset the TPMS sensor. This had also turned off the VDC and SLIP light and it has not come back on in about 70 miles.

I asked the tech if what he did would reset this indicator lights and he said not directly, only if my TPMS light was causing the other lights to come on.

Since having the front driver TPMS sensor reset the VDC and SLIP light have stayed off.....

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:27 pm

The TPMS system shouldn't cause the other lights to come on, unless it's a CAN communication error which involves both systems...which, coincidentally, you had a U1000 CAN COMM error code. It may be an intermittent problem that just hasn't returned since he erased the stored codes. Hopefully, they won't come back on!

BlueTJMCRT

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:05 pm

drove to our cabin and put another 300 miles on it this weekend. Lights are still gone after getting the TPMS reset and the weather is bad out here (Colorado) so I know the VDC, ABS, and TC are working.

Just hoping that they stay off :)

Return to “R51 Electrical”