OBD II P0100 Mass or Volume Air FlowCkt Malfunction

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Thurlow

OBD II P0100 Mass or Volume Air FlowCkt Malfunction

Postby Thurlow » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:11 am

Re: 1998 PF. I have replaced the MAF sensor and it cleared the code for several weeks but now is back. This causes the engine to die unpredictably. Have another new sensor on the way but doubt this will solve the problem long term.

Have also relocated a new knock sensor and replaced the Evap Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve after blowing down the line and installing a fuel filter on the outlet of the Evap Canister (Stops those carbon particles).

The harness and three prong plug look good and clean.

Two questions: 1. Using a multimeter, what do I measure at the harness plug. 2. Is there something else in this circuit I can check?

Thanks for any suggestions.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:52 am

You best bet would be to download a factory service manual, specifically the "EC" section, which will give you a diagnostic procedure for DTC P0100. You might be able to find it in the knowledge base at NissanHelp.com and Nico Club's website has manuals as well (you will need a program like WinZip to extract the files as the are in .rat format).

Thurlow

OBD II P0100 Mass Air Flow Ckt Malfunction

Postby Thurlow » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 am

Thank you for the good advice and I will do that. However, a minor miracle has occurred or appears to have.

While fiddling around under the hood studying the situation I noted that the hose clamp holding the rubber boot to the intake manifold was way loose so the boot could move easily and was not snug. This would allow air leakage.

I tightened it up, reset the SEL and went for a spin. Miracle of miracles, no SEL and no engine hickups! It's only 30 miles so far but I'm hopeful.

I do recall reading on the forum that there must be no leaks in the air inlet system. It appears they are not fooling.

Regards to all: Bob (aka: Thurlow)

Thurlow

Postby Thurlow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:40 am

I spoke too soon. While the CEL has cleared, she still dies intermittently. In fact, seems to be getting worse. Now looking at the distributor.

Looks like conventional wisdom says replace with OEM part even though pricier. Hard to believe a dist. can fail after only 130K miles. Some good advice on the web on how to test these beasts but I need a multimeter with hertz capability and something called an LED test light and an HEI spark tester. Hmm. Time to go shopping.

I may give in and just put in a new dist. I like this car (Pathfinder) and want it to run well.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”