Is the bypass safe to do for towing?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Ryan7

Is the bypass safe to do for towing?

Postby Ryan7 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:35 am

Going to be towing a decent amount this summer, each trip probably a couple hundred miles or so. Is it safe to do so for towing? Is there enough cooling for the transmission after the bypass?

Thanks

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Is the bypass safe to do for towing?

Postby NVSteve » Thu May 07, 2015 9:56 am

Ryan7 wrote:Going to be towing a decent amount this summer, each trip probably a couple hundred miles or so. Is it safe to do so for towing? Is there enough cooling for the transmission after the bypass?

Thanks
You could always add in another cooler to the loop. I have one mounted on the front of the radiator. Nice thing is that they are pretty cheap.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 07, 2015 10:50 am

I would prefer to have the benefit of the radiator's internal cooler than adding another external cooler. Liquid-to-liquid coolers are far more efficient that air-to-liquid. If you are towing anything of significant weight, my recommendation would be to replace the radiator with an aftermarket unit rather than bypass and add another external cooler. The price between the external cooler and some aftermarket radiators really isn't that much. I paid $92 for my radiator three years ago. Of course, the cost of labor is a bit more for the radiator if you have to pay someone to replace it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri May 08, 2015 11:48 am

although I agree with SMJ, I have been towing with just the air/oil cooler for several years now, and have had no issues.

t

khavel

Postby khavel » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:15 pm

disallow wrote:although I agree with SMJ, I have been towing with just the air/oil cooler for several years now, and have had no issues.

t
Terry, are you towing with just the factory transmission cooler up front or did add a second one?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:33 pm

khavel wrote:
disallow wrote:although I agree with SMJ, I have been towing with just the air/oil cooler for several years now, and have had no issues.

t
Terry, are you towing with just the factory transmission cooler up front or did add a second one?
Just what it came with from the factory. Out at the campsite for the week, she pulled like a champ!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”