New guy in the market, questions

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Science Abuse

New guy in the market, questions

Postby Science Abuse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:18 am

After much reading and test driving, my next car is highly likely to be a 2012 Pathfinder LE or Silver, when I can find something with low miles. I'm coming out of an Outback that I put 200,000 rough miles on, and no one makes anything like that car anymore, so I'm creeping up in size.

The Xterra caught my very serious consideration early on, until I found out that the R51 is like a long wheelbase Xterra, with more comfort stuff that an aging fart like myself can enjoy.

My questions are technical, hoping you all may know:

-The "LE" has 18" wheels? Can I put smaller wheels on there without changing the brakes? 16's hopefully?

-What differs between the Xterra drivetrain and the R51? Does the R51 have anythig watered down? Were there different gear ratios offered within the Pathfinder line-up?

-Both the Xterra and R51 are on the F-A chassis, is there much part compatibility?

-Any common consumables, recalls, or "weak links" in the R51? (like the head gaskets in my Subaru). Had the Transmission cooler been fixed by 2011/2012?

Thanks all for your time, I appreciate any advice!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:05 am

biggest difference I am aware of is the X has a solid rear axle, the Pathy has independent rear suspension. many complain that the back end is too soft and saggy, but the airlift 1000 setup resolves that right quick.

Aside from that difference in driveline, the parts are very similar, and everything is geared the same.

My 05 came with 16" tires from the factory. As far as I know, there isn't anything keeping you from going to 16" wheels, on a v6 chassis anyways. V8s may be a different story.

Biggest problem on the R51/X/Titan/Frontier is the faulty trans cooler in the rad. Easily bypassed, or you can replace the rad. Nissan is still honoring an extended warranty deal, but depending on the age of vehicle you are looking at, could be expired. Lots of info on that issue on the forum. As far as 'has it been fixed'? Not sure, have been seeing stories of 2010s with failures. You better check the PN of the rad to make sure.

t

Science Abuse

Postby Science Abuse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:19 am

Having done the job on previous vehicles, it may take me less time to bypass the trans cooler than it would to do a part number cross reference. :p It's a simple job, and worthwhile to install a bigger cooler anyway. Looking at the radiator tank, which hose is the cooler inlet?

I noticed the IRS. I've driven two of these, and while they handle "better" than the X, it certainly didn't un-truck the ride quality. Seems like wasted weight and complexity, but those are first world problems. lol Thanks for the tip on the air bags!

Since posting this, I found a great resource that helped me navigate the mess of options and model codes:
http://www.auto-brochures.com/nissan.html

Grumpah

Re: New guy in the market, questions

Postby Grumpah » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:42 am

Science Abuse wrote:After much reading and test driving, my next car is highly likely to be a 2012 Pathfinder LE or Silver, when I can find something with low miles.
I think you posted this in the wrong forum. Try http://www.thenissanpath.com/index.php?c=8.

Science Abuse

Postby Science Abuse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:53 am

Snot, you're absolutely right! I suppose reading comprehension would be a good skill to have before buying a vehicle. :)

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:25 pm

05-10 models are prone to cooler failures, not the later models.

Return to “R51 General Chat”