ATF Filter?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dawgn86

ATF Filter?

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:17 am

06 Pathfinder..V6 / 4.0...2wd

going to do my 2nd or 3rd drain and fill on transmission fluid...wanted to drop the pan and check the magnet and possibly get out another half quart or so....is there a filter/screen that can be changed or cleaned?

I just put new plugs in it Friday night...what a pain....put new u joints in yesterday

140k miles

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:02 pm

There is a screen, but it's usually not serviced. If you have enough debris in your trans fluid to clog or restrict the filter, then the writing's on the wall, so to speak, and you'll be needing an overhaul soon, rather than a service. Keep in mind the fluid in the R51 is synthetic and much more durable than conventional ATF and that it is in a sealed environment, unlike engine oil, where it can get contaminated by fuel and/or dirt that doesn't get caught by the air filter. The small, metal shavings that get caught on the magnet will stay there and be just fine. I wouldn't bother dropping the pan, personally, and would just do the drain and fill.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”