ELECTRICAL POWER LOSS WHILE DRIVING

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

alecsey

ELECTRICAL POWER LOSS WHILE DRIVING

Postby alecsey » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Anybody had this problem? Please share with me your thoughts.

2006 Pathfinder LE gas v6 118k miles.

I was driving on highway head lights on, cruise control at 55 miles/h. Suddenly electric power went out for a second or two. Engine went dead, dashboard gauges went dead, headlights went out, dashboard lights went out too. At the same time I heard some relay CLICK behind dashboard. Then 1-2 seconds later everything was fine lights were back on and the engine was running just fine. This happened 6 more times during 35 mile drive. I was able to finish my trip just fine. Vehicle never stalled or stopped to the point when I had to pull over. CES light never came on.

Any suggestions? I just need a little push in the right direction. Thanks a bunch!!!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:06 pm

I would check a few things:

Battery state of charge
Battery clamp connection (make sure they aren't loose)
replace ECM relay
IPDM (search the forum)

good luck!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Battery cable terminals seem to be a common issue on these Pathys! IPDM's don't fail so much. There are a lot of them replaced because originally Nissan said the ECM relay wasn't replaceable, so when they had issues with the relay, they replaced the whole IPDM. Then I guess they figured out it was replaceable and just replaced the $2 relay. If you have foglamps, you can swap the foglamp and ECM relay to check it.

alecsey

INTERMITTENT ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH POWER LOSS - SHORTING?

Postby alecsey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi,

So I replaced ECM relay, but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. It occured few more times. I have 8 month old Nissan battery and recently replaced " + " terminal and put a battery shim over " - " terminal.

I am thinking maybe this caused the problem. before the problem started I replaced 4 brake pads and some brake fluid came out of brake fluid reservoir and flowed down its side and may have entered some harness or wiring.

So I now have these symptoms all happen at once. On my last trip I drove about 20 miles Charge and Battery lights stayed on most of the trip but then last 5 miles all symptoms were gone and the car finished the trip just fine.

So here are the symptoms.
1. Something clicks behind dashboard on the left side. I hear the same click when I turn the egnition key into ON position.

2. Charge warning light and BRAKE lights come on and stay on for a while. Sometimes they go away and sometimes they stay on.

3. Voltimeter needle drops down to about 1/3 of the gauge.

4. Headlights went out once. Dashboard went out once too at the same time Voltimeter needle went all the way up to almost 18.

5. When the problem occurs the engine goesn't get shut down but it slightly drops RPM and works rougher. But then somehow I noticed while waiting for green light that idle RPM went up to 750 and stayed there. I even turned off AC and idle RPM was still at 750.

At this point I am ready to do some testing or take the car to a dealer for testing. Is it possible that there is something shorting somewhere? Or maybe alternator goes bad? What systems do I need to test? I just need an idea. I will be able to consult service manual to figure out the procedure.

Many thanks, especially to smj999smj who with his advice helped me out many times before!!!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:18 pm

still sounds battery/terminal/cable clamp related
i'd be surprised to find out that it's something other than that

alecsey

Postby alecsey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:00 am

eieio wrote:still sounds battery/terminal/cable clamp related
I just cleaned up battery terminals and reattached them. Drove for about 5 miles around the city. So far so good. Let's see if it lasts.

Thanks, "eieio"!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 am

were you able to tighten the terminals enough? I found that mine stretched over time, and so on the positive one, I ended up replacing the terminal ($5 part from the dealer). On the negative one I use this:

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2 ... -p8064453e

Works better than the nail I was using for about 3 years... :)

t

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:30 am

alecsey wrote:
eieio wrote:still sounds battery/terminal/cable clamp related
I just cleaned up battery terminals and reattached them. Drove for about 5 miles around the city. So far so good. Let's see if it lasts.

Thanks, "eieio"!
you're welcome - glad to help! :D
oft times these aggravating problems turn out to be simple, basic stuff

disallow wrote: On the negative one I use this:

t

:lol: I used an old feeler guage wrapped around the battery post beneath the cable clamp for quite some time :lol:

alecsey

Postby alecsey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:04 pm

disallow wrote:were you able to tighten the terminals enough? I found that mine stretched over time, and so on the positive one, I ended up replacing the terminal ($5 part from the dealer). On the negative one I use this:

t
Yes, this is exactly what I did -- replaced positive terminal and used post shim for negative.

Return to “R51 Electrical”