Installing a 2nd trans cooler during bypass

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

hesham1

Installing a 2nd trans cooler during bypass

Postby hesham1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:38 pm

I just got my 08 V6 Pathfinder SE, Id like to do the bypass but to get the best of both worlds Id like to install a small 2nd fin or plate type trans cooler. I actually think this would make the bypass easier, because then I could just unplug the 2 connections at the radiator and plug them into the new cooler.

So the question is what is a good small cheap trans cooler that would fit nicely in this gap. I don't need it to be a really good cooler but I'd like it to be as close to plug and play as I can get. Thanks!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 pm

i opted for by-pass only, and no additional coolers on my two trucks
had I been concerned about additional cooling, i'd have opted for a new radiator instead
i think a cheap aftermarket external trans cooler is an accident waiting to happen :shock:

hesham1

Postby hesham1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Do you mean a cheap cooler would leak? Im looking for an air cooler so there would be no fluids to mix.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:32 pm

IMHO an extra cooler is a waste of time and complexity and money.

I ran bypassed without any additional cooling for over 4 years, occasionally (10-15 times a year, 300mi+ trips) pulling my 28' travel trailer. The transmission has 265k km on it and its going strong.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:04 am

There already is an auxiliary air cooler in front of the A/C condenser from the factory, so by bypassing the radiator, you are running the ATF solely through the air cooler. There is no need to add a second air cooler.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”