Rear hatch is loose!

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

nelson0639

Rear hatch is loose!

Postby nelson0639 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Hey guys, on my way to work, the nav screen said my hatch is open. .. thought nothing of it, opend and closed it.. tonight I went out and opend it and shut it again, it latched but it's really loose, it has a lot of play, enough to cause the rear light to come on.. any ideas, be it its 11:20pm not gonna mess with it tonight. Has anyone has that issue? It is cold tonight 10 degrees F. But I haven't washed it in about a week. Mechanism frozen?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:57 pm

You may want to check the 2 hinges holding the hatch in place. A few years ago, I found one of mine had become pretty loose. The hinge design is pretty bad-you'll see what I mean if you try to tighten/loosen either one.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Three things to check:

1. Open the hatch and check the two screws on the bottom that hold the latch mechanism in place. I think they're 10mm or something. Mine used to come loose until I put thread locker on them.

2. If you have the cinch motor ('08 & '09), make sure it's cinching. A dying motor will usually blow the fuse when it's cold because of the increased electrical resistance. Being that you are able to freely open your hatch, I'm thinking you probably don't have this motor.

3. Inspect the actual latch mechanism by opening the inside hatch panel. If something broke off, it'll usually be rolling around inside the hatch panel. Chances are you'll need to replace the mechanism. I've done it twice and it's a relatively quick and easy job.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:44 am

bump rubber(s) missing?

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Mine wouldn't shut no matter how hard I slammed it. I opened the small plastic housing and pulled the emergency trapped inside cord. Worked

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”