OME or TJM rear springs for lift?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Lit

OME or TJM rear springs for lift?

Postby Lit » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Hello everyone. I just got my 2008 V8 Pathfinder LE 4x4 and I am putting a lift on it. I am new to the Pathy world but not new to Nissan (have had a lifted Frontier for about 8 years).

I am looking to get about 3" lift in the front and 2" in the rear. So far I have the Radflo 2.5s with SPC UCAs for the front with some Radflo Emulsions for the rear. Now I am trying to decide which springs to get for the rear. I know a lot of people on here are running the OME medium duty springs, but I heard they only give about one inch of lift.

Can anyone confirm how much lift they got with the OME springs?

Also, has anyone tried the TJM springs? The description says it gives two inches of lift.
http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?p ... &Itemid=72

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:31 pm

Do you think you might have the 4x4 springs and OME confused? I know that the 4x4parts were advertised as 1.75", but were only about .75-1", and they have since corrected their advertisement and also added a line of HD springs for a solid 2" lift.

Slightly less $$ http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981117-path ... coils.html

The units you have linked look good too though. I'd go with those personally.

Lit

Postby Lit » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks for your response.

You are probably correct and I am confusing the OMEs with 4x4parts. I would go with the HDs but I am concern it might be a little too firm, that is why I am looking at the medium duty springs.

That being said, do you know how much lift I would get with the OME medium duty springs? Do you think there is any concern with going with a full 2" lift in the rear? Since I will have the Radflos in the rear also, I am little concerned with the brake lines at full extension.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:25 am

Lit wrote:That being said, do you know how much lift I would get with the OME medium duty springs? Do you think there is any concern with going with a full 2" lift in the rear?
OME Rear Medium with OME branded shocks netted me 1.75" solid lift. There are alignment issues when going to the 1.75" and up range in the rear. Some shops can get them really close to correct, some shops can't. I know of no reports of alignment perfection but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

OME came out with a statement regarding alignment on NA R51's when using their components, but there is no fix.

Lit

Postby Lit » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks, blink32. That is what I was looking for.... I will go with the OME medium duty springs and hopefully I can get the alignment pretty close.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:06 am

I can't remember exactly what was up with my own personal situation but I know my rear is within "overall" specifications, but it was like one side was out X and one side out Y. At any rate I had my previous BFG AT KO's on there for 43k miles, regular rotations and I didn't have any kind of odd tread wear or unevenness. Changed the tires out for age (10 years old) rather than tread loss.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:43 am

Im in the process of installing Armada rear springs on my Pathy and i will get back at you guys.
The rear end could only be lifted so high your alignment meets the max.
I ran the rubber spacers but they didnt last but it was a cheap lift.
The Armada rear springs were cheaper then the 4x4parts and OME ones so we will see how that goes.
Armada has 5 different types of springs i went with the tallest and stiffest.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:56 pm

This would be quite the set-up ... Sorry for the massive pic..

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:11 pm

My springs come tomorrow but i just picked up some fox shocks 8.5" travel armada guys use this spring to lift there armadas so kt should work.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Springs came

My old height with spacers

My new height without spacers(will be installing them again later)

Lit

Postby Lit » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:38 pm

Thupertrooper,
I am very curious what you find out. I was also looking into the Armaada springs but my research only came up with the Armada springs being 16.25 inches long, about the same as ours... Also I could not determine the spring rate, but is suspect it is a bit stiffer to support the additional weight.

I also looked into doing an Armada swap with the upper and lower control arms in the rear. As it turns out the rear upper and lower control arms are about the same length as ours. I am not sure if they will bolt up, but it is actually the K-frame that is wider in the Armada. So then I looked at possibly swapping out the K-frame (rear suspension sub-frame). I have mine pulled out and took it down to the Nissan dealership to compare it to an Armada. Unfortunately it was not going to be a simple swap as it is quite a bit different than the pathy.

NmexMAX,
Aren't those the Armada shock mounts from PRG? Do you know if anyone has tried these on a pathy?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:03 pm

Lit wrote:Thupertrooper,
I am very curious what you find out. I was also looking into the Armaada springs but my research only came up with the Armada springs being 16.25 inches long, about the same as ours... Also I could not determine the spring rate, but is suspect it is a bit stiffer to support the additional weight.

I also looked into doing an Armada swap with the upper and lower control arms in the rear. As it turns out the rear upper and lower control arms are about the same length as ours. I am not sure if they will bolt up, but it is actually the K-frame that is wider in the Armada. So then I looked at possibly swapping out the K-frame (rear suspension sub-frame). I have mine pulled out and took it down to the Nissan dealership to compare it to an Armada. Unfortunately it was not going to be a simple swap as it is quite a bit different than the pathy.

NmexMAX,
Aren't those the Armada shock mounts from PRG? Do you know if anyone has tried these on a pathy?
Im not too sure how tall the 4x4parts HD springs are and diameter or the OME ones but the Armada ones are about 1/2" taller then stocks but way thicker .800+ something compared to about .500+ But i got a lift out of it and more payload i can also throw my spacers back in and get more lift but will have alignment issues so it will have to wait.
There is nothing you want from an armada except the rear diff if it matches your front diff ratio. The arms are identical to our so the travel is the exact same so nothing to gain there.
Your best bet is to get some long travel shocks and you're set, i found some fox shocks but didnt get the chance to install them along with springs since i have to drill out some holes.
Maybe you can find out the correct specs of the aftermarket springs compared to the OEM ones.
Lets us know.

Lit

Postby Lit » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:07 am

Which springs are those? Are they stock Armada springs or aftermarket?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:47 am

Yes that is the PRG kit. He mentioned to me that those mounting brackets are universal (gave me a PN) and that they could easily be fitted to am Pathfinder although I don’t think anyone has done it as of yet. I was in the market for a while but haven’t done so yet. Our travel is limited to both our spring length and shock travel, also, they must match or if the spring isn’t long enough to handle the shock travel, the spring may come out of its perch.

Also the Armada rear shocks are mounted differently than the Pathfinder. I assume it may have something to do with the Big Tow package available for the Armada which offered air suspension stock for self leveling. The air suspension was embedded into the rear shock.

Here you can see the mounting positions

Silver is the OEM mounting unit, the while/red Rancho is where the additional shocks go with the supporting hardware from PRG.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:28 pm

If the shock is at an angle it can have more travel out with out it being moved to a higher spot. So i like the Pathy setup for long travel.
The springs i used are stock armada springs the thickest i could find.
If the ome or 4x4parts springs are taller then 16.65" they will be better then stocks.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”