Volant CAI fitment issues...anyone?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Volant CAI fitment issues...anyone?

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone else had issues with the Volant air box fitting improperly in the engine compartment? I went to install my Volant 12640 Cold Air Intake system in my 2006 LE and ran into a problem when it came time to install the air box. The top bolt installs ok but the front "toe" of the air box bottoms (the part that sits near the horns, which I even removed out of the way) out on the chassis and it seems the back corner of the box, near the ABS actuator, does the same, leaving a gap of approximately 1-inch between the hole in the bottom of the air box and the holes in the chassis where the 8MM bolts are supposed to thread into. I even tried banging down a couple of high spots with a hammer and the box still doesn't fit right. I even took out the ground bolt that sits below the box and still no dice. I'm going to contact their Tech Support tomorrow, but I figured I see if I was the only one with this issue?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:10 am

Well, I'm working with Volant's tech support to see what's going on. I guess if worst comes to worse, maybe the Volant will fit my 2008 and I'll look at an Injen intake for my 2006. In the pic below, you can see the area in the engine compartment where the air box goes. I tried removing the ground bolt, but that wasn't an issue. You can see lower in the picture a dark, straight line rubbed through the dirt where the box is hitting. The other area is mainly the front corner and it also seems to be hitting at the corner closer to the ABS actuator. The pic shows arrows pointing to the areas of contact that seem to be keeping the box from sitting flush with the chassis. Stay tuned!

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:33 pm

I had the same issue with my volant. I ended up saying screw it and just used the one bolt to hold it in place I also had to modify the side air scoop to fit as well, I had to cut it down a little in order for it to fit and even now it still slips off every now and then.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Volant Tech Support got in touch with me. Although he had never heard of an issues with the Pathfinders, he says he can provide me with spacers and longer bolts. We will see what happens!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:07 pm

HoneyMonster256 wrote:I had the same issue with my volant. I ended up saying screw it and just used the one bolt to hold it in place I also had to modify the side air scoop to fit as well, I had to cut it down a little in order for it to fit and even now it still slips off every now and then.
It's interesting in that we both have 2006 LE models and both have problems with the fit. I thought there might be an issue with the air scoop, as well, but have to get the box fitted, first. I wish my 2008 SE was around for me to see if the engine compartment under the air box is different.

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:15 am

I will try and remember to take pics tonight and find a way to post them so you can see. I would love the contact at Volant so I can get the same screws and spacers as well please.

I have the SE, Full Package, fully loaded with GPS, but I have the 6cyl like yourself

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:03 pm

I'll see how it works. If it does, I'll give you the E-mail address for the tech support with which I'm working.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:00 pm

UPDATE:
I recently tried the Volant kit in my 2008 with similar results. I did come away with some ideas for my 2006. I sent this message to Volant tech support, which explains my plan:

John,

As I mentioned earlier, I also have a 2008 Pathfinder, so I tried to fit the 12640 air filter box into it. As I compared the two, they are both the same as far as the engine compartment with the exception that the 2008 has a little more room in front of the horns. As with the 2006, the box pushes against the horns, so, I had to remove one of the horns to get the box to sit flat. I was told the horn relocation bracket, which is mentioned in the instructions but did not come in my kit, was not necessary. Well, either the bracket is necessary or I will need to move the horns to another location. One of the forum members told me he mounted the horns on the air filter box, itself, which is something I'm contemplating if I can ever get the box mounted.
Even in the 2008, the holes in the bottom of the box sit about an inch, if not slightly more, away from the holes in the chassis. The instructions say they are mounted with M8x1.25x20 bolts, which are certainly not long enough. I then found a pair of M8x1.25x40 bolts which are not mentioned on the instructions and I believe are meant to install the box. I think with the horns removed and one person pulling the filter box as tight as possible to the side of the engine compartment, one can install the 40MM length bolts; this, however, is hard to do if you don't have a second person to help you as it is difficult to line up the bolts with the box as it is difficult to see them due to the gap between the chassis and box bottom. I'm going to try to install it, again, in the 2006, when I get some time, but I have an alternate method that I'll try if that doesn't work.
I found some stainless steel, M8x1.25x50 bolts and M8x1.25 Nylock nuts at Lowe's. If i remove the left-front wheel well plastic liner, I should be able to install the 50MM bolts up through the bottom, which would work as studs for the air cleaner box and should make it easier to line up the holes. Then, I can use a flat washer and nylock nut on the inside of the box to secure it in place. If the bolts extend too high to get the box in initially, I can always back them out a bit, install the box in place, and then tighten up the bolts from the wheel well and let them extend to their full length inside the box. I don't think it will be the case, but if they extend to far, I can always cut them down.
I'll let you know how it works out. It really shouldn't be this hard to install a simple air box! Volant could have made the box so that the bottom of the box sat closer to the chassis and therefore the 20MM bolts could have worked. Better yet, they could have used a similar mounting system as the factory air box with the rubber grommets snapping on top of shouldered bolts. If nothing else, the definitely need to re-do their instructions as the one that is provided is not accurate nor correct.
I do have another concern once I do get the filter box installed: the ram air scoop doesn't look like it is going to fit the 2006 model as it does not have the same room in that area as the 2008 model. It looks like the horns will get in the way of the scoop. I'll address that issue once I get the box installed.

Yours,
Stephen M. Jones

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 am

Yeah the 2006 didn't have room at all for the horns the hood would not sit flat I had to do a full relocate to the front of the radiator. I took it apart again over the weekend to see if I could get it to line up and I couldn't that stood idea is a good one though.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Yes, this has gotten a lot more involved than I thought it would be! Here's where I'm currently at:

Tech support sent me some different hardware for the box. It was a set of three, rubber bushings that had threaded studs on both sides, but they were still too short to make up the difference between the chassis and the bottom of the box.
I sent an e-mail to the first tech support member regarding the horns. After sending them a copy of my receipt for the Volant #12640, he said due to the trouble I am having with the horns, he's sending me a Volant #12540. The 12540 has a cutout section at the front, bottom of the box to clear the horns. It's listed as being for the '08-and-later R51, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the earlier '05-'07 models after comparing the engine compartment area between my '06 and '08. I'm interested in seeing if it has the same, large gap between the bottom of the box and the threaded holes in the chassis where the mounting bolts are supposed to go. I really don't understand why they don't provide the horn cutout in the #12640? Another note, I had asked about the "no longer needed" horn relocation bracket to which the instructions refer, but the support tech said it hasn't been available since '08-'09. I was trying to obtain the bracket to see if it would have made the #12640 work, but I won't need it if the #12540 air box does the trick!
On a different matter regarding the Volant, I specifically purchased the one with the Donaldson Powercore filter, which is even stated on the shipping box. However, I think they shipped me the Pro-5 filter rather than the Powercore, as it appears to be a blue, layered-cloth filter media. I will have to take some pictures and send them to tech support and find out what they have to say.
I'm feeling pretty confident with the help of Volant tech support that I will get this to work, it's just a bit frustrating that one has to go through all this after purchasing a kit that is supposedly made for one's specific vehicle. Keeping in mind, that I'm a former Nissan tech, I can't imagine the frustration of an individual with little or no mechanical experience trying to install this cold air intake system. In some ways, I kind of wish I went with the Injen system, but it's not really fair to compare the two without having tried to install the other's kit.
So, as I wait for the Volant #1250, stay tuned! And for those who want to take a look at the #12540:

http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=756

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:08 pm

So, I received the Volant #12540 box, today. Essentially, all they did was take the #12640 air filter box and cut a big section out of the bottom-front. I have mixed feelings about this box, already. On one hand, it should give clearance over the horns and, since it appears by the way it's cut, the front shouldn't bottom out on the chassis and "may" even allow the box to fit flush (or, at least a lot closer) to the chassis. However, because they didn't close up the cut out, it essentially creates a big air scoop in the front which I would imagine would allow a lot of dirt and water to enter the inside of the box. It also seem kind of pointless to have a ram air scoop on the side of the box now that there's a big, gaping hole in the front of the box!
I'll probably work on this Friday night and make a conclusion as to what I'm going to do.
One more note: the #12640 kit I got from THMotorsports was advertised as a "Powercore" system, meaning it would have the Powercore, dry filter made by Donaldson. Instead, I got the Pro-5 filter, which is a blue, 5-layer, oiled-cloth type air filter. It's a very good filter, but not what I ordered. I sent pictures to both Volant tech support and THM to confirm I was not mistaken that it's a Pro-5. I am still waiting to hear back from THM. Volant replied that the Powercore could not be used with the 12640 because it "flows too much air." Given that an engine can only draw a given amount of air based on bore/stroke/cylinders and that the whole purpose of installing an aftermarket, performance intake system was to reduce restriction to get more air into the engine, I replied and asked for an explanation of how it can "flow too much air." I have yet to hear back from the Volant tech rep regarding this.

12640 versus 12540:

A Volant Pro-5...NOT a Powercore:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:23 am

I did a "dry run" of the Volant #12540 box, last night. I did not install the foam seal; I was more interested in seeing if the holes lined up. In the end, the 12540 box was a "fail," but I did find out a lot more. Unfortunately, the pics have not yet loaded up to Photobucket, so I'll have to add them in later.
Dropping in the 12540 air box, there was still a significant gap between the holes in the bottom of the box and where the mounting bolts screw into the engine compartment. Keep in mind the 12640 and 12540 are the same box, it's just that the 12540 had a section cut out for the horns, which does do a good job as far as that's concerned.
The top mounting point for the air box, both the Volant and the factory box, is part of the ABS actuator mount bracket. When installed, the bracket lifts the air box too high and puts it on a tilt. With a spacer sent to me by Volant in the forward-most mount hole in the engine compartment, I was able to mount the box at two points. The middle hole would not line up and the inlet for the box didn't match up perfectly with the intake hole in the inner fenderwell. I do believe if I cut the mounting bracket off of the ABS actuator mount bracket, I could get the air box to sit flat on the lower mounting holes using the spacers I was provided. My question then would be would there be enough support for the box, missing one of its mounting points? And, without the mount closest to the inner fenderwell, would there be enough of a seal between the box and the inner fenderwell? The other question is, why did they engineer the box this way? I have a hard time believing my 2006 LE and 2008 SE Pathfinders are different than all of the tens of thousands of R51 Pathfinders in North America. Was the box designed using a European-spec model and there's a difference in the bracket? Only Volant can answer that! All I know is that for a kit that is supposed to be specifically designed for this vehicle, this is way more hassle than it should be!
Another thing I noticed is that where the ram-air scoop mounts on the side of the air box, the inlet is directly behind the sheet metal of the radiator support. I can't picture much advantage for the scoop based on where it's at. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to my 2008 model to see if it's the same way.
Lastly, THM got back in touch with me and informed me that the Pro-5 was the filter that comes in the kit. I'm not sure why it's advertised as a "Powercore" system and it's interesting that the label on the box shows a picture of a dyno comparison that used a Powercore filter?
One thing I can say for sure is that I am a master at removing and installing the air filter box on R51 Pathfinders! ;)
Stay tuned and we'll see how this all turns out!

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:22 pm

I ended up doing a full relocate on the Horn it was much easier & faster for me. As far as the box, I still only have the upper screw tightened down and it holds the box just fine, even with the foam and everything its not a tight seal. I will do a double check on the ram air scoop to confirm the location stated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:58 pm

I ended up getting back in touch with THMotorsports and told them the whole story of my dealing with Volant tech support, the fitment issues and the fact that the kit was misrepresented as being with a Powercore filter. To their credit, they have authorized the return of the Volant CAI system for refund; I only have to pay for the return shipping. I will likely be purchasing the Injen PF1959P CAI system and giving that a shot.
As for Volant, I will be returning their 12540 filter box and will let them know of my findings. To their credit, their tech support reps were very helpful and trying to resolve the issues with the 12640 kit. Ultimately, they need to take a look at their kit for the V6 R51 Pathfinders and make some changes. My suggestion would be to keep the 12540 box, which clears the horns, but close of the opening to seal the box. Then, they could develop either a new ABS actuator mount bracket or some type of workaround where you would cut the mounting point off of the ABS bracket and they would have another type of bracket that would serve as the mounting bracket for the box. Or, they could redesign the box so it will fix the ABS bracket properly.
It's a shame because I was really looking forward to having the Volant CAI system in my Pathfinder. I'm sure they make many kits that work just fine in other vehicles, but, it seems this is not one of them.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:49 am

HoneyMonster256 wrote:I ended up doing a full relocate on the Horn it was much easier & faster for me. As far as the box, I still only have the upper screw tightened down and it holds the box just fine, even with the foam and everything its not a tight seal. I will do a double check on the ram air scoop to confirm the location stated.
You would probably get a better fit if you cut off the extension bracket off of the ABS actuator mount bracket and used the two bottom mount points. This would at least line up the box with the fenderwell opening and let the box sit as it should in the engine compartment. If you E-mail John Oravec, the Volant tech support rep, he could send you the same spacers that he sent to me. You'll only need the two, 8mm spacers, which provide a nice mounting between bottom of the air filter box and the engine compartment. I almost did this, but still had concerns about whether the missing upper mount wouldn't allow enough tension between the seal and the inner fenderwell. As yours is currently mounted with just the top mount and there is a big gap between the inner fenderwell opening and your seal, it would serve as a better fit for you cut off that upper bracket as at least everything would line up properly, IMO. Take a look at what you got and see if it might work better for you.
In my case, I E-mailed Volant's tech support reps that I have dealt with an expressed my opinions on their kit and what I found to be the problems with it, along with several solutions as to what they could do to make it fit. I sent back their spacers and #12540 box.
THMotorsports, who sold me the Volant #12640, also had great tech support and I would recommend them as a quality seller of performance parts. They agreed to let me send back the Volant kit at my expense for a full refund, which gets me out of this headache! I'm leaning heavily toward the Injen Power-Flow CAI system # PF1959P at this time. It's a little more money, but hopefully, without the installation headaches of the Volant. Performance is also supposed to be a little better:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... ?rep=False

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”