ABS, Slip and VDC lights are on???

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Mr2005

ABS, Slip and VDC lights are on???

Postby Mr2005 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm

I have 2007 pathfinder. tonight the ABS, Slip and VDC lights came on together. Anythoughts on what these lights coming on together can mean.

previously had an alternator issue that was causing random dash board lights to come on, but it wasn't any of these.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 pm

It could be a bad ABS sensor or wheel bearing; that would cause all of those warning lamps to trigger. You need to get the trouble codes pulled for the ABS system.

Mr2005

Postby Mr2005 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:23 pm

is that something that would enable the car to be driven until it can get checked?

Thanks for the reply.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:45 pm

In most cases, yes, but your ABS and traction control will not be working.

Mr2005

Postby Mr2005 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:32 pm

lights were on for about 24 hours. a couple of times i heard a clicking noise. they they went off last friday.
Saturday morning took to my shop. they said they could see the codes. they don't what caused the lights to go on. they took it on 3x test drives and the lights didnt come on. they said the brakes were working fine.

Since then, no issues, no lights on the dash for ABS,VDC and slip
Last edited by Mr2005 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Like smj said - my first guess is ABS sensor (can be caused by bad front unit bearings or other issues). One thing to note is that your rig probably won't be able to go into 4WD with those errors so plan accordingly.

Mr2005

Postby Mr2005 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:56 pm

the ABS, Slip and VDC lights came back on this afternoon. I took it to the shop. They did a reading and said it was because my Evap contral valve and evap canister need to be replace. They recommend this be replaced back in december. I have put it off becuase they want to charge $777 for this (they say they have to, per nissan, replace the evap control valve and charcoal canister).

I asked why the evap valve would cause ABS, Slip and VDC (note: the check engine light comes off an on since December). Their expalantion was that the computre adds additional lighst over time to get your attention. So i left said i'd think about it. They said there is not issue with brakes or drivability. They only took the codes, they didn't actually look over the pathfinder.

WHen i left, the brakes clicked a little, my non professional diagnosis based on sound and feel. The pathfinder is driving fine and brakes like normal.

Wanting a 2nd opinion, i took the pathfinder to Autozone. They read the codes and got a 'PO448 Evap Canitser Control Valve'.

So as it stand right now, i have a check engine light, and the ABS, Slip and VDC slip lights on.

My questiions:
1) does the expanation that the ABS, Slip and VDC lights are going on bcause of the Evap Control Valve make sense? Why are my brakes clicking?

2) Does the evap control valve have to be replaced in conjuction with the charcoal filter? My shop says Nissan Highly recommends the be replaced togetther? Does $777 sound resonible for this repair? My shop says the canister is $389 and vent control valve is $160. the rest is labor.

The guy at autozone recommened I reset the computer by unplugging the battery for 15 sesonds.

Mr2005

Postby Mr2005 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 pm

I unplugged the battery.

when i started up the pathfinder, check engine light was off. ABS, Slip and VDC lights were on.

drove around the block, nothing changed.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:30 am

I think your shop doesn't know what they are talking about, IMO. ABS/Traction Control lights will not illuminate for an evaporative emission problem and the ECM does not start illuminating warning lights for other systems to get your attention on a non-related system. Another thing, Autozone's code reader is probably a generic OBD II code reader used to read powertrain codes. You will need a capable generic scan tool or Nissan Consult II or III scan tool to access ABS system codes. You will need to access the ABS trouble codes in order to diagnose the ABS/Traction/Slip lights.

As far as your P0448 code, Nissan issued a technical service bulletin, NTB07-060a, to address this problem. The bulletin states to replace the evap vent control valve and install a filter kit. You can download a copy of the TSB at NissanHelp.com:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_li ... &keyid=694

Now, the TSB lists the vent control valve #14935-AM60A. There was another Nissan TSB that advised of an update to this valve to Nissan #14935-AM60B, which looks different than the original and -AM60A valve:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/oe-nissan/14935am60b

The updated valve has a more powerful actuator, which seals better than the original valve.

So, unless the liner inside the charcoal canister has failed and bits of carbon are falling out of it, you can use the original canister, despite what others have "recommended." What you will need is this:

Nissan parts:
14935-AM60B vent control valve
14953-ZP80C filter kit
A copy of Nissan TSB NTB07-060a

I would imagine you could use Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound in a spray can instead of the Zinc-rich primer. You can get it at Lowe's and Home Depot. That should take care of your evap system problem.

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Mr2005 - they're full of $hit - find another dealer. Where are you located? I'm sure that there are members close by that would be willing to lend a hand.

EDIT - Smj hit the nail on the head with the last post - another thing to note - Auto Zone can read engine codes but a failed ABSSensor/wire isn't always detectable with their scanners

Heather202

I had the same issue...

Postby Heather202 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:08 pm

I am late to the game but I saw this and I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago. We ran diagnostics on it and it threw out a camshaft sensor Bank 2 code (P0345). I replaced that sensor, changed the oil and reset the codes and those lights were off. Having other issues now but at least that issue is fixed.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: I had the same issue...

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:55 am

Heather202 wrote:I am late to the game but I saw this and I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago. We ran diagnostics on it and it threw out a camshaft sensor Bank 2 code (P0345). I replaced that sensor, changed the oil and reset the codes and those lights were off. Having other issues now but at least that issue is fixed.
Yes...engine management problems can cause the ECM to disable the traction control system, which would turn on the warning lights for those systems, as well.

Lakehead Pathfinder

ABS wheel sensor polarity ...say what now?!

Postby Lakehead Pathfinder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:08 pm

I've learned a bit about the R51 wheel sensors (not by choice) and thought I'd resurrect this old thread to share.

Problem first started during a heavy snow fall. Driving I hit a bump. ABS, VDC and SLIP all came on immediately, followed shortly by the 4x4 light. The 4x4 status indicator LCD also went blank.

Step 1: Have it scanned, yep it's the front right abs sensor.

Step 2: Wait for temperature to rise (no garage) and take off wheel. The problem is two torn wires and a dangling ABS sensor plug, with barely enough wire left on the plug to make a connection. Soldered it back together, taped, shrink wrapped etc. Reset warning lights, ABS sensor still comes back as bad, along with steering angle sensor.

Step 3: Maybe sensor is also bad? Dealer wants $300, Amazon $49, tough choice. Replaced sensor. A bit more of a PITA then I expected, as rotor has to come off hub. Reset warning lights: ABS sensor still bad.

Step 4: Drink.

Step 5: Looking at the ABS sensor description, part number works for front left OR right?! :idea:
The parts should be mirror images of each other? In my naivete I had assumed black wire goes to black wire through the plug prongs (and white to white). I was wrong: Once I reversed the polarity at the plug everything worked as it should :shock:

TLDR: R51 front ABS sensors are polarity sensitive and polarity of passenger side is reversed at the plug connection.

#themoreyouknow

Return to “R51 Electrical”