What maintenance would you recommend

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

HoneyMonster256

What maintenance would you recommend

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:09 am

So the Pathy is almost at 140K and so I thought I would ask for what recommended maintenance you all would suggest?

I have had the vehicle since 73k and so far replaced passenger from and driver rear wheel hubs, new battery. I have added the volant Air Intake and I will be adding the Gibson exhaust.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 am

Not knowing what you've already accomplished other than what you listed, if my Pathy was at 140k with no known previous maintenance above standard oil changes and I was intent on keeping it until it died a horrible death I'd do the following:
Full fluid flush/change (coolant, brake fluid, trans, diff's, power steering, etc)
Struts all the way around
Tie Rod Ends
All Soft Parts (sway bar end links, whatever bushings I can get)
Ball Joints

Basically an reasonably serviceable wear item. Struts = alignment so you might as well replace as many other suspension/steering wear items as you can afford while you're in there. I realize some of that list could be considered extreme but I'm into preventative maintenance as opposed to emergency maintenance. I try to replace parts when I believe they are at or near the end of their useful life as opposed to waiting for total failure. Seems cheaper to me to replace a ball joint on a mileage basis vs waiting for it to break and then pay for the associated damage that comes with that.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Start with the factory maintenance schedule per your owner's manual. I wouldn't replace your entire suspension and steering system, but I would make a thorough inspection of those parts, as well as check your brakes, tire condition, U-joints, etc. If there are worn parts or those that exhibit excessive play, replace them. I usually do a drain and fill of my transmission and transfer case every 50,000 miles using Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Same goes for the front and rear diffs, using synthetic 75W90. Engine coolant every 60,000 miles. Spark plugs every 100,000 miles. Cabin air filter every 30,000 miles. Tire rotation and oil change every 7500 miles. Wheel alignment about once every year or two, depending on how much driving on the vehicle and/or if there are signs of abnormal tire wear or steering wheel off-center. Wiper blades about once a year.

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks for the information guys, I have already replaced my tires, I do rotates & balances every 7500 miles or so. I use the Mobile 1 Extended life synthetic oil and filters so I change every 15-17k miles.

I know that my passenger side drive line his throwing grease so I know that will need to be changed and I usually do those in pairs.

Not sure how to check or which bushings you guys are speaking of.

I'm definitely thinking of transmission, coolant, power steering & brake fluid flushes.

Thanks for all the information so far.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”