Console switch blank removal

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

RDCE

Console switch blank removal

Postby RDCE » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi everyone, I have a '07 Pathy that is "new to me" with a switch blank that the previous owner had a light or toggle switch in. Now the blank has a 1/4" hole in it. I ordered a new blank but can't figure out how to remove the old one. I tried a little prying with a flat head with no success. Any tips or do I have to figure out how to pull the console panels off to access the tabs from behind the panel? Searched this but all I got was convo's about the replacement switches and not the blank removal. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 pm

If it's to the left of the steering wheel, I have that same blank panel with a hole! I had my driving lights switched there before going with different lights. You should be able to reach up under the dash and pop it out. There are little tabs that hold it in. Since you're not worried about damaging it you could also just use a butter knife and pop it from the front. Butter knives are perfect because they won't damage the dash trim.

RDCE

Postby RDCE » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Ok, figured it out thanks to this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwALGobz4cc

And, these blanks have to be removed from the back. They won't pull forward! Don't use a butter knife.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:49 pm

RDCE wrote: Don't use a butter knife.
Much easier than squeezing it from the back. I decided to pop mine out while I was thinking about it. Here ya go:

http://sendvid.com/z4yd0mkv

RDCE

Postby RDCE » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 am

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't think that method would work as I even had a bit of a challenge getting the blank out from the back. Because I was after the middle console blank I would have lost it into the innards of the console doing it that way. The new one also needs to be placed into the frame from the back so I guess learning how to take the console apart was worth it.

Return to “R51 Electrical”