2005 R51 Passenger Front Fold Down Sun Visor

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

BAMAGRAD1995

2005 R51 Passenger Front Fold Down Sun Visor

Postby BAMAGRAD1995 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Every time someone folds the passenger side sun visor down on my wife's 2005 R51 Pathfinder, the visor stud that goes up into the headliner plastic escution fall out exposing the wires that light the vanity mirror. Does anyone know why this is happening, what is broken/missing and if it's going to be a total P.I.T.A. to fix/repair/replace?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:03 am

The clip that hold the rod into the mounting base is likely broken. Nissan doesn't offer any options other than replacing the sunvisor assembly.

corollagts

I just fixed this this am on the drivers side

Postby corollagts » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:45 pm

I used a zip tie to what was left of the plastic mounting clip.

I see numerous ways to fix this issue without buying a new unit, especially if the base is good. New units just under $100.

Neeginan

Re: 2005 R51 Passenger Front Fold Down Sun Visor

Postby Neeginan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:54 am

I tried the zip tie fix, but it eventually loosened up again over time on me. So I used superglue to repair where the plastic tab had cracked / separated. I also noticed that three sides have 'walls' around the plastic tabs. The one side that is open (has no wall) is the weak link and that is the tab that was of course broken. You can see the open side with no 'wall' in your pic. So I trimmed an expired credit card to fit there and added it to create a 'wall' to the open side. Like a fully boxed frame vs a C channel frame. Basically created a box around all four tabs. Previously, one tab was exposed/open and had less support. I used some superglue gel to reinforce between the credit card 'wall' and the lower part of the tab that had broken in the past.

It has held up well for me. I think if a tab breaks in the future, it will be one of the other 3 tabs. Not the one broke the first time.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: 2005 R51 Passenger Front Fold Down Sun Visor

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:24 pm

I had the passenger side visor break on my 2008. I had a body shop use their plastic welder to fix it and it lasted for several years. It finally broke again and I found a replacement in a salvage yard for $45.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”