Design glitch of R51 headlights?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

headshrinker

Design glitch of R51 headlights?

Postby headshrinker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:57 am

Hello guys,

This is a long shot..

I have been driving a 2008 R51 model for 2 years and as of December 2015 the 2012 R51.
The 2008 vehicle was a SE while the new one is a full option LE model - Both equipped with the 4.0l engine and gulf specs.

When I bought the old model the longish orange plastic cappings inside the headlights were already popped out (the middle one of the 3 on each side).

See: Image

As the car was already 6 years old at that time I thought this is normal wear and tear.

In the context of an rear-end collision the affected headlights were replaced by the Nissan Agency in my place of residence here in the U.A.E..

And this is when things got weird...:

- The brand new original spare parts had the same plastic cappings popped out after only 1 month.

- Thus the Nissan agency replaced both of them on warranty

- 5 months later the left headlight was defective again and replaced on warranty as well

- the new headlight then had the plastic thingy popped out again after only ~100 km of driving

- After having informed the agency I went on a 4 week vacation to find out upon arrival that the right headlight now was defective as well :lol:

- Coincidentally I saw a spanish R51 with a different headlight design at that time in Abu Dhabi and thus asked the workshop engineer if this would be worth a try.

See: Image

- They agreed and after another 4 weeks they called me to visit their workshop as the new headlights had been delivered. On that occasion they seriously found out that the electrical connectors weren´t compatible and therefore decided to mount the original ones again :lol:

Shortly afterwards I decided to upgrade to a 2012 LE model and was very happy until - well - yesterday.
This was when I had to learn that the same thing has happened to the headlight of my new Pathfinder as well (the right one this time - after having owned the vehicle for ~4,5 months).

I will not get into details on how many discussions I have had with Nissan staff. But it might be interesting that for a long time they tried to blame it on my driving behaviour or insisted that they surely never had seen this before.
Both is ridiculous as I don´t engage in activities like dune bashing or heavy off-roading. Plus there are indeed more R51 on the streets here with the same issue visible.

So after all that explanations my questions are:

1.) Has anyone ever come across the same issue or knows about someone else who has?

2.) As there is still ~ 2 yrs warranty on the car I surely insisted that they do something about it. Unfortunately the car was purchased through another Nissan agency and they allegedly want to repeat the whole investigation process again instead of asking the previous agency about their findings. Can I escalate this directly to the superordinated organization (e.g. Nissan Middle East)?

Thanks in advance and greetings from the sandpit :-)

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:42 am

have a 2008 R51 base model....going on to 4yrs now with wadi bashing and dune bashing....never seen this...actually...let me check....nope all good....and the new one they sell now in the GCC they call it pathfinder classic yes has diff lights...more or less similar to the diesels they sell in the S.A market....i could be wrong

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 am

...you are right...the headlights could have been wired different ....in the oldish R51 in this case the '08...the top light serves both as driving light and turn signal and the lights on the side are driving lights.....in the newish R51...aka ''pathfinder classic''....top of main beam serves only as the turn signal while the side lights retained as driving lights

headshrinker

Postby headshrinker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:05 am

patomwazi wrote:have a 2008 R51 base model....going on to 4yrs now with wadi bashing and dune bashing....never seen this...actually...let me check....nope all good....and the new one they sell now in the GCC they call it pathfinder classic yes has diff lights...more or less similar to the diesels they sell in the S.A market....i could be wrong

Thanks for your reply mate - Good to see someone from the UAE here :)
As said I´ve seen other R51s with the same issue plus as you can see in my description there´s really a strong pattern. Especially as some headlights literally had the thingy popped out the next day.
As mentioned one of the headlights showed that issue even after I returned from a 4 week vacation whilst the car had not been moved.
So one of the assumptions I have is that these tiny plastic clips holding the yellow cappings are not heat resistant enough. As both affected cars are black and have been parked outside always this might explain why it happened frequently there.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:09 am

not sure what to say...never noticed this now i will be eyeing every R51...i have a black R51 as well...i think you Abudhabi ppl got Sharjah lights... :lol: :lol: :lol:

headshrinker

Postby headshrinker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:10 am

patomwazi wrote:.i think you Abudhabi ppl got Sharjah lights... :lol: :lol: :lol:
bwahaha, that one was nasty :P

headshrinker

Postby headshrinker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:29 am

*bump* Any further ideas, anyone? :)

Return to “R51 Electrical”