Problems after radiator replacement

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

CristianMTK

Problems after radiator replacement

Postby CristianMTK » Sat May 14, 2016 1:38 pm

I dropped off my car at the mechanics overnight and picked it up this afternoon. i had him replace my radiator. He said he also did the bypass as a precaution. As i was driving home i stopped at a red light and it quickly turned green. As soon as i pressed the gas the car jerked. I’ve never experienced anything like that. I kept on driving and no issues at all. When i got home i was making a left turn so i pressed the breaks lightly so that i was driving about 5mph and pressed down on the gas and it jerked again as i was turning. I've noticed that it only happens when I slow down and then press on the gas. Any thoughts? Also my car is a 2008 SE with 106K miles.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Problems after radiator replacement

Postby eieio » Sat May 14, 2016 3:26 pm

CristianMTK wrote:I dropped off my car at the mechanics overnight and picked it up this afternoon. i had him replace my radiator. He said he also did the bypass as a precaution. As i was driving home i stopped at a red light and it quickly turned green. As soon as i pressed the gas the car jerked. I’ve never experienced anything like that. I kept on driving and no issues at all. When i got home i was making a left turn so i pressed the breaks lightly so that i was driving about 5mph and pressed down on the gas and it jerked again as i was turning. I've noticed that it only happens when I slow down and then press on the gas. Any thoughts? Also my car is a 2008 SE with 106K miles.
possibly a coincidence that it started happening after the radiator replacement
i'd start with checking any & all electrical connectors related to the work done AND verify that the by-pass was done correctly
did he change the trans fluid?
was there any sign of coolant contamination?

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:52 am

Did you check ATF level properly after doing bypass? As there's quite some ATF in OEM radiator, doing bypass changes total quantity and level should be checked.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun May 15, 2016 6:00 am

If you replaced the radiator, he shouldn't have done the bypass. It's only the original radiators that are having cooler failure issues. By bypassing, you are eliminating additional trans fluid cooling as well as the ability to warm the fluid and maintain it at the ideal temperature.

CristianMTK

Postby CristianMTK » Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 pm

I finally got in touch with my mechanic today and he wants me to bring in the car this week. He has no idea what i could be. I had someone record my driving the car in reverse and you can notice that it makes a whining noise towhee it finally does drive.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0U ... 26F55390EC

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun May 15, 2016 3:38 pm

CristianMTK wrote:I finally got in touch with my mechanic today and he wants me to bring in the car this week. He has no idea what i could be. I had someone record my driving the car in reverse and you can notice that it makes a whining noise towhee it finally does drive.

before you attempt to drive it, be sure that the ATF level is correct, and that it is the correct ATF if the mechanic changed it

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri May 27, 2016 3:10 pm

CristianMTK wrote:I finally got in touch with my mechanic today and he wants me to bring in the car this week. He has no idea what i could be. I had someone record my driving the car in reverse and you can notice that it makes a whining noise towhee it finally does drive.

what turned out to be the trouble?

CristianMTK

Postby CristianMTK » Sat May 28, 2016 3:59 pm

My mechanic said i was low on transmission fluid. I'm assuming he forgot to fill it once he did the bypass.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat May 28, 2016 4:42 pm

CristianMTK wrote:My mechanic said i was low on transmission fluid. I'm assuming he forgot to fill it once he did the bypass.
brilliant! :roll:
how much did he have to add to get the level to proper?
on both of my R51s, when I by-passed them, i didn't lose enough trans oil to have to add any at all

06PhillyPathy

Postby 06PhillyPathy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:10 am

Wouldn't replacing the radiator eliminate the need to bypass the rad cooler?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:50 am

yes

CristianMTK

Postby CristianMTK » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:08 pm

I know its been a while since i originally posted my question. I haven't had any issues besides my mechanic not putting enough tranny fluid. I live in NY so will i have issues in the winter months when its cold? Or should I have my mechanic re-connect the hoses back to the radiator since its not necessary once the radiator is replaced?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:39 pm

You'll be fine. I live in Winnipeg in -40 winters and ran bypassed for 5 years. Over 180k miles on it now.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”