rack and pinion and struts

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Wes

rack and pinion and struts

Postby Wes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:10 am

01, 180k miles - So when i was looking at my oil pan leak I noticed that they boots on my rack and pinion were torn. Also since my last tire rotation the car vibrates at highway speed. Hey guess what..both struts are leaking too. Odd that it all happened at once. So now apparently I need a new rack and pinion and new struts. I live in metro Atlanta and here is what they are quoting me: rack and pinion - $722, front struts - $437. Alignment included in rack and pinion price.

Is this a labor intensive job? because the parts don't seem to be that expensive when I look for them on RockAuto. This garage is new to me, but has good recommendations so I am trying to decide if I am getting a fair shake. It has been there for a while, always seems to have customers and has ASE certified mechanics (does that really mean anything?).

Somebody should do a sticky on finding and evaluating a good garage.

Wes

Postby Wes » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:35 am

Well, I have the car back and it seems to be working well. The guy at the garage did explain everything to me and why they choose a more expensive rack and pinion over one of lesser cost and that these jobs had a lot of labor. I think I feel pretty good about it. I am confident the wheels won't fall off. Rides much better at highway speed now. I guess i can drive it for another 180k miles.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”