Pathy vs Deer

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bender031

Pathy vs Deer

Postby bender031 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:47 pm

On Friday the 21st, my wife and I were visiting her grandparents across the state in bethlehem pa, on our drive home from dinner we hit a large deer doing approx 55. hit the deer fairly square, deployed both airbags. we were both shaken up but ok. Damage was to the entire front end, hood, windshield. got the call today 12,500 in damages so they totaled it.

Real shame - 05 SE off-road with leather. 47k miles. mint condition.

Not sure what its replacement will be, wasn't really in the market before this happend. We were both very glad to be in a large suv, and it took the hit very well.

will try to get some pictures uploaded eventually.

sveintore

Re: Pathy vs Deer

Postby sveintore » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Sorry to hear about the car :(

But I want to see the pictures.. Nice to see what to expect if it happens to me.. Very much deers around here..

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Glad to hear nobody was hurt. Sucks about the car, but it really could have been much worse.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Damn. Good thing you weren't hurt. You ask how much a buy-back would cost by any chance?

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:10 am

:cry: Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:58 am

wow. thank God you and your wife is ok. alot of deer involved accidents have killed people. count your blessings. good luck with the process.

Danguy426

Postby Danguy426 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 am

cars are replaceable... people are not.
thank god you and your family were not seriously injured.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:47 am

blink- i did not ask buy back price. not sure if it is related, but the insurance company said salvage value was 5,600. don't know what yard it will end up in but it is currently in north-east PA not far from NJ. it was mint and has plenty of untouched parts and accessories. graphite leather interior. has a (damaged) injen intake, untouched gibson aluminum exhaust. 265/75/16 revo's on the off-road wheels. i am going wednesday to get my personal belongings out of it. if i find out more i will let you know.

00void

Postby 00void » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:14 am

Danguy426 wrote:cars are replaceable... people are not.
thank god you and your family were not seriously injured.
my thoughts too. thankfully you guys walked away. sucks about the damage though.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 am

Thanks for the kind words all, neither of us had been through that before and it really does shake you up. the airbags smacking us and the terrible smokey smell after they deploy is terrible. the car did its job and we walked away. we were very fortunate.

we've always been in bigger vehicles and had considered a smaller more fuel efficient car, after our experience we agreed we are happy in larger vehicles. the fact that we were higher with the tall square front end, helped as it took the majority of the impact, the impact on the windshield was minimal, something lower would more-likely undercut the deers legs and cause more impact on the windshield area.

i did replace the pathfinder this weekend, and no it wasnt with another pahty (was certainly in the running though). We picked up an 08 explorer limited v8 with 11k miles for a great price. still a nissan family though, so i won't disappear.

08PathyV6

Postby 08PathyV6 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:30 am

I recently hit one as well. Going to work at 6 in morning driving about 60 mph. This deer crossed 5 lanes of traffic and jumped over a jersey barrier before i hit him. Luckily i hit him on the passenger side and none else was with me. He damaged from the middle of the grill over. The light assembly fog light and pretty much the whole front passenger side was mangled and or missing. I could have swore this was a bear dressed as a deer becausethis thing was gigantic. Huge rack prob about a 9 pointer so he did some good damage. No airbags deployed but none the less i was still shaken up. Car wasn't totaled but its gonna cost a pretty penny. But it could have been worse. I could not be here telling you this story. Watch out for them things, they are dangerous!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am

bender031 wrote:blink- i did not ask buy back price. not sure if it is related
I missed this. The salvage value/buy back is probably the same, but I have no idea. It would be neat to know were it ends up. I bet not a pick n pull though. There are one or two things I wouldn't mind getting off of it if I knew where it was though. :)

bender031

Postby bender031 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Blink- i'd love to see someone utilize some parts. I went on wednesday to get my belongings. it is still at the body shop if you'd like to find out. it is on Fritch street in Bethlehem PA if you want to see how far that is from you.

08v6 - man I felt the same way, felt like we hit a wall, i guess if you hit anything at speed, it's going to be a heck of an impact. One thing i noticed that i wouldnt have guessed, is that the main structural bumper is actually located very low, on the lower portion of the bumper cover down below the fog lights. (below the large cutout in the bumper cover) this worked against me as the impact was all above that which caused it to cave in significantly. i assume the design is so that lines up with a car's bumper. it was a fairly beefy piece, but did me no good in this impact.

Npath

Re: Pathy vs Deer

Postby Npath » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Sorry to hear bout your Pathfinder, but glad to hear no one got hurt.

Your story reminds me the time when I was riding in my Dad's full size GMC truck back in the late 70's.

This buck ran across the highway and impacted our front spare tire while travelling at 80km/h. Surprisingly, back then, there was no damage done to the truck, except to the buck.

Old trucks are built solid, but nowadays, they're built to take impact and crumple.

If you could take out major pieces of the Pathfinder, like the seats, you should get some decent cash for it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”