2011 pathfinder..low coolant..seems low pressure..but no pro

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

sportbikerider

2011 pathfinder..low coolant..seems low pressure..but no pro

Postby sportbikerider » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Hey guys...any help would be great.

82k miles and I have owned the car for 2years.

I had the ac compressor go bad. When I was diagnosing it..I noticed the coolant was low in the radiator and the resovior was half full. I topped off the radiator and it has been bubbling slowly out the resovior a little almost every time I drive it. Kinda weird...and it has now removed all of the coolant I added and is back to where it was...a little low in the radiator and half full in the resovior.

There is no visible issue. No sweet smell from exhaust. No water in oil. No other leaking. No overheating even in hot summer with ac on. I'm really not sure there is a problem..I just have never seen this happen.
I replaced the radiator cap.

If I grab of of the radiator hoses and squeeze...there is almost zero pressure and it seems to be just pushing the fluid right back into the resovior.

Bad thermostat?
Thoughts?

Madcapper03

Postby Madcapper03 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:57 am

I had a similar problem, but I was also overheating on the hottest days at idle.

I replaced the caps on the radiator and the coolant reservoir, then topped up the coolant again and it's good now.

I'm not a pro by any stretch, but you can get both caps for about 25 bucks so might as well go for it.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:33 am

make sure the caps are installed correctly
the spring-loaded cap goes on the reservoir, the other cap goes on the radiator

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”