ENGINE WONT START AFTER WARM UP

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

xecutionerstyle

ENGINE WONT START AFTER WARM UP

Postby xecutionerstyle » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:20 pm

alright guys, im comletely new to forums so bare with me here. i have a 99 nissan pathy that has trouble starting after i have drove it around for a little bit. when i first start it up, it runs just fine. but after driving around for not even more than 5 minutes and i shut the engine off, it wont start back up and i have to let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. i do have a few DTC's that come up. P0135 O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1 sensor 1) P0446 evap emission control system vent control circuit, and P0325 knock sensor 1 circuit. as i said before, i can start it up and drive it around, and there are no issues with idling. but when i shut the engine off then try to start it back up, it will start up, sputter, then die. if i let it sit a little bit, it will start back up. it almost seems like somehow the engine gets flooded. any ideas guys?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:27 pm

When it stalls and won't restart, check for spark to the plugs. If there's no spark, chances are you need a new distributor. They are fairly common failures on VG engines when they get over 100,000 miles on them.

KG1/96

Postby KG1/96 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 am

One thing you might check is the ecm temp sender. I have found that when it goes out or is not working properly that it tells the ecm that the engine is cold when it is isn't and it will add fuel for cold stating. Once it cools off, it's not a problem and it will start. Have you noticed your fuel millage decreasing?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:28 pm

The P0135 is strictly a heater circuit code for the O2 sensor and usually means the O2 sensor is in need of replacement. B1S1 is the front oxygen sensor on the right side bank. Stick with NTK (which is the OE part) or Denso sensors and you can usually get a good price at Rockauto.com.
P0446 is often due to a sticking vent control valve on the back of the EVAP canister.
The P0325 "could" be a bad knock sensor, which is located under the intake manifold, but it could also be triggering due to your other problems. Best thing to do would be to fix the other issues, erase the codes, and see if the knock sensor code returns by itself.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”