Spare Tire Lock?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

ChiTom

Spare Tire Lock?

Postby ChiTom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:31 pm

I have a new '08 Pathfinder S. Very happy with it, but almost instantly the spare tire was stolen along with the hardware to hold it in place. When I went to the dealer to get a new spare and hardware, the dealer said they are not aware of special way of securing the tire so it can't be stolen, which seems nuts to me.

Anyone have any recommendations? Many thanks.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:10 pm

Get a long bike cable & lock. Thread it thru wheel & around the hitch or bumper bracket.
Now how do we keep our cats from being stolen ???

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:34 pm

How did they get it down? The hole for the crank is blocked by the tailgate. I've done the cable lock on pickups I've had, but figured the PF was safe as the hole was secured by the tailgate.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:08 am

YES,, Please elaborate on this.

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:16 am

That is very surprising. Please let everyone know if you find a solution for your issue. I thought it is impossible to steal the spare without lowering the chain.

ChiTom

Spare Tire Lock

Postby ChiTom » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:10 pm

Well, I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but the PF was so new I had not even bothered to look at the spare and see how it was secured. But the head service guy at the dealer didn't even bother for me to finish my tale of woe before cutting me off and saying "They just cut the thing off - happens all the time" (which did not make me feel any better). About $500 all in to replace, too (wheel, tire, mounting bracket). :cry: I'm going to use a plastic-coated steel cable with a weatherproof Master lock (to prevent corrosion from salt, etc.). I'll post something further after I get it all done to advise on my success. If you live in an area (I'm in Chicago) that is prone to car break-ins and the like, then I'd look into securing your spare!

skippy

Postby skippy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:24 pm

well if they cut it off the first time, cant they cut the cable for the second? not trying to be a smart ass, just thinking about it happening to me and how to prevent it---- its a sad sad world--- someone stole my sister's left side tired and put the car up on cinder blocks abotu 15 years ago in LA--- unreal what people will do----- id it happen at home?-- i;d get a solar powered floodlight system or something.

sorry to hear bro,
AJ

ChiTom

Spare Tire Lock

Postby ChiTom » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Nope, that's a good question. Hopefully, the heavy steel cable will take them too long to cut through, so they'll move on to easier pickings. Hopefully...

Yep, happened in front of my house (I park on the street).

An acquaintance just had all 4 of his tires on his Mini Cooper stolen - he's now the 2d person I know who has had this happen to their Mini.

guinnessjim

Re: Spare Tire Lock

Postby guinnessjim » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:58 pm

ChiTom wrote:Well, I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but the PF was so new I had not even bothered to look at the spare and see how it was secured. But the head service guy at the dealer didn't even bother for me to finish my tale of woe before cutting me off and saying "They just cut the thing off - happens all the time" (which did not make me feel any better). About $500 all in to replace, too (wheel, tire, mounting bracket). :cry: I'm going to use a plastic-coated steel cable with a weatherproof Master lock (to prevent corrosion from salt, etc.). I'll post something further after I get it all done to advise on my success. If you live in an area (I'm in Chicago) that is prone to car break-ins and the like, then I'd look into securing your spare!
be sure the lock is weather proof and marine grade. esp. living in chicago w/ all the salt on the road (spent many years in MKE...all to familiar w/ the winter corrosion).

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”