Car died randomly

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

bucata206

Car died randomly

Postby bucata206 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Has anyone had an issue with their pathfinder randomly dying? I have a 97 and the other day it started just fine when I went to the store. When I left, it took an extra half a second or so to start. I went to leave and it just died in the exit to the parking lot. I started it again, it ran for about a second then dies agin. I started it again and gave it gas to keep it running but it immediately died when I gave it gas. Someone helped me push it out of her lane of travel and I couldn't get it to even turnover as though the battery died. When my help arrived, we hooked up jumper cabled and it started right up like normal. I was able to drive it home with no other issues.

Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it could have been the gas but I still showed a quarter tank and it ran just fine going home. The car does sit most of the time and gets driven once or twice a month..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:28 am

A lot of problems with bad distributors....occasional problems with the crank position sensor, located on the driver's side/top of the transmission bellhousing. I would suggest checking for stored codes and checking for a lack of spark when the problem occurs.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”