Serpentine belt keeps falling off...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DainBramaged

Serpentine belt keeps falling off...

Postby DainBramaged » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:10 am

This morning was the second time that the s belt has come off when I started the car. It happened another time about a month or two ago. Would the issue be the belt itself? The tensioner? Or is it sabotage by TOYOTA?!?

Thanks, appreciate any input. :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:24 am

Tensioners were a weak spot on these vehicles, but they usually resulted in a brake squeak, not them falling off. Nissan did release a TSB that stated to check the power steering pump alignment and replace the tensioner and belt with the part numbers listed in the TSB. I don't think they did anything to the tensioner design, but they did make the serpentine belt a little shorter, which will increase the tension on the belt asserted by the tensioner. The current Nissan part number for the belt is the updated design. On the aftermarket, Gates offers the updated parts as an "enhancement kit."
My suggestion would be to look at the power steering pulley alignment and adjust the pump, as necessary. Remove the belt if that's okay and check for play in all of the pulleys. If those are okay, I would replace the tensioner and install the updated sized serpentine belt.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”