Windshield Washer nozzles freezing up?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

abomb1

Windshield Washer nozzles freezing up?

Postby abomb1 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:05 am

Has anyone else had problems with their windshield washer nozzles freezing up? A couple weeks ago I ran my washer fluid empty and since then have been having problems with the washer not working in really cold weather. After the truck has been in the garage overnight they work fine again, spray perfectly in the right place and all. But once I'm back on the road in 15 degree or colder weather they stop working again. This morning it was about 18 degrees and my passenger side one worked all the way into work, but the driver side one froze up about 10 miles into my drive. First it started barely spraying anything out, then gave up completely.

I use washer fluid that's supposed to be good to -35, so I don't think that's it. Any other ideas what could be happening? I've never had this problem in a vehicle before and it always seems to be when I really need them to work the most that they give up on me.

:?

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:47 am

The rear nozzles have frozen up on me a couple times so far this month, but after a few minutes they defrost and I am able to clean the rear windshield.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:03 am

Ya I have this problem too. I'm soon going to be changing so the spay hose is on the wiper arm itself with a small spray nozzle. This arm is used on semis

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:36 am

Pretty common with all cars , my Forester freezes them up in the cold, I drove all the way to work ( 45 minutes ) and they were still frozen ... took sitting in the shop for a while to thaw ... Its all about size , the hose is so small even if it has good antifreeze , they still tend to freeze ...

I have had a few that I have removed the anti drain back valve and that can help , not sure if the Pathfinder has it or not , Subarus are pretty common , basically a valve that keeps fluid in the system so you get instant response , but of the fluid sits in the hoses it can freeze , so you remove it and the fluid drains back and leaves the lines empty , it will take a couple extra milli seconds to get fluid to the nozzles , but at least they work ....you might look into that ...

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:08 am

JC Whitney sells a windshield washer reservoir heater. Not too badly priced either.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:47 am

there are some windshield fluids that are tested up to -20 farenheit. i think prestone makes some!

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am

I have always had problems with the standard, blue fluids that claim they are good to -20 F. They have always freezed up on my.

For the past few winters I have used the name brand (Rain-X, Prestone, etc.) De-Icer/Bug Remover fluid and never had a problem since.

Pappy

Postby Pappy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 am

I would be curious about how the washer bottle warmer works. Only when the vehicle is running? Not very good if that is the case. We have just come out of a record low temperature December for here in Fort McMurray Canada. I have seen it at -45F. Right now with the sun out, the temp is -29F. I purchase washer fluid that is guaranteed to be fluid at -45F and I can say that it actually works. Can't remember the brand, just saw the claim on the label at the gas station and filled it up. The station was a Perto-Canada unit if that helps but I don't think the brand was their in-house juice.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:36 am

Pappy wrote:I would be curious about how the washer bottle warmer works. Only when the vehicle is running? Not very good if that is the case. We have just come out of a record low temperature December for here in Fort McMurray Canada. I have seen it at -45F. Right now with the sun out, the temp is -29F. I purchase washer fluid that is guaranteed to be fluid at -45F and I can say that it actually works. Can't remember the brand, just saw the claim on the label at the gas station and filled it up. The station was a Perto-Canada unit if that helps but I don't think the brand was their in-house juice.
the main problem with the reservoir heater is that it only heats the fluid in the reservoir. it isn't going to thaw the fluid that is frozen in the lines and the nozzles.

~mike

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 am

I didn't have one freeze up on me yet, but i did have one go defective. It faced the correct direction (towards the window) but shot to the front of my truck almost hitting the car in front of me. It was pretty cool, when I was irritated with the driver in front of me I would purposely try to spray them.

ColoradoPeople

Postby ColoradoPeople » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:34 pm

We purchased our heated windshield wiper res from JC Whitney and it's great!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”