Roof racks etc.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Pappy

Roof racks etc.

Postby Pappy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Been shopping around for a roof rack to add to my Pathy. Wanted the Safari type basket to store my spare tire and maybe gas cans. Found this site last night and they have some pretty decent deals. One rack is kind enough to use a Pathy in its product pictures.

http://www.discountramps.com/car-top-ca ... -racks.htm

I ordered a rack and have to say the customer service folks have been great. Got my shipment tracking number about an hour after the order was placed.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Which one did you go with?

I've been looking at getting one for a few weeks now myself. I've actually been reading up on the Baja mega mules as they look pretty decent. Only problem I am running into, is I want to also get a roof-top tent (like the Eezi-Awn), so I don't think the Baja would be my best bet. Baja does make a rack specifically for tents, but it appears to only be for FJ's.

I'd love to get a hold on a Hannibal rack, as they are built specifically to accommodate the tents, and have a nice accessory awning as well, but I'm not sure on the mounting (plus they seemed tough to find here in the states). Most decent racks use a gutter mount setup, with the exceptions using vehicle specific mounts (mostly for Land Cruisers & FJ's). I wish I could take a good close up look at one to determine how difficult custom mounts would be to fabricate.

ARB recently released their aluminum racks too, which are nice and light, but once again it boils down to compatibility.

I'm interested in which one you went with. Some photos of your installation would be great too :wink:

Pappy

Postby Pappy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 pm

I ordered the "Roof Basket" (sounds like no-name) which on the web page is in the third row down, far left column. I liked the 1 inch tubing and design shape and measured repeatedly to come up with the best fit. We are off in some difficult terrain on these mine sites and I wanted to move the tire topside due to the collection of mud and ice. I've had two flats in less than 60 days and the last time the spare could not be removed because it was frozen. With this rack, I might at least have a fighting chance!

Anyway I look to have this rack here in a week or so and will send photos, good or bad fitment.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:08 am

G35TR wrote:Most decent racks use a gutter mount setup, with the exceptions using vehicle specific mounts (mostly for Land Cruisers & FJ's). I wish I could take a good close up look at one to determine how difficult custom mounts would be to fabricate.
Of all the mounting options, gutter mounts are by far the worst IMHO. A close 2nd would be the mounts that attach to the built in OEM rack channels on some vehicles (most of which are plastic). With the PF, I use mounts that attach to the factory rack, along with new crossbars. Of all the possible setups, this is one of the strongest solutions I've had. I haven't popped off the factory racks since I use them, but I would imagine it would be super easy to fabricate a mount. I've done that a couple of times in the past & it was quite easy. Either find a good looking mount from say Thule or Yakima, then just start cutting/welding a flat plate that can then be attached to the factory holes. Or, do what I did and just weld your own 1 piece rack out of sturdy square stock. If I've totally lost you, I apologize. I'll see if I can dig up any pictures.
Last edited by NVSteve on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pappy

Postby Pappy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 am

Unless my measurements are off, the rack I ordered will sit evenly atop the existing lenght rails. The same uses 4 clamps to attach to the cross rails and I plan to add to that with some additional hard connection to the long rails.....we'll see!

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 am

NVSteve wrote:
G35TR wrote:Most decent racks use a gutter mount setup, with the exceptions using vehicle specific mounts (mostly for Land Cruisers & FJ's). I wish I could take a good close up look at one to determine how difficult custom mounts would be to fabricate.
Of all the mounting options, gutter mounts are by far the worst IMHO. A close 2nd would be the mounts that attach to the built in OEM rack channels on some vehicles (most of which are plastic). With the PF, I use mounts that attach to the factory rack, along with new crossbars. Of all the possible setups, this is one of the strongest solutions I've had. I haven't popped off the factory racks since I use them, but I would imagine it would be super easy to fabricate a mount. I've done that a couple of times in the past & it was quite easy. Either find a good looking mount from say Thule or Yakima, then just start cutting/welding a flat plate that can then be attached to the factory holes. Or, do what I did and just weld your own 1 piece rack out of sturdy square stock. If I've totally lost you, I apologize. I'll see if I can dig up any pictures.
Actually, I've been looking at the low profile rack that the Xterra guys fabricated (http://thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php ... +roof+rack), and am now curious about something similar. Something that could be used along with the factory side rails. If not, I think what what you were saying about simply removing the OEM rails (side and cross) altogether and creating something from scratch using the OEM holes.

Next step is to come up with some plans in order to estimate material costs. This ought to tell me if it would be worth it or not.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 am

G35TR wrote:Actually, I've been looking at the low profile rack that the Xterra guys fabricated (http://thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php ... +roof+rack),
That thing looks very nice, but I have a couple of concerns:

1. If the side rails on the X are similar in quality/construction to those on the PF, no way in hell would I mount all of that weight onto the rails. From what I can tell from the pictures, it looks like the entire thing is mounted onto the thin metal of the siderails. Those siderails are of decent enough quality by themselves, but the mounts that hold them to the roof are plastic. Unless he has other steel mounts that drop down from the fabricated basket into the roof, I wouldn't trust the thing.

2. Speaking of weight, that thing has to be heavy. What I don't understand is why he didn't make something out of aluminum & why he didn't get rid of the factory bars and just mount directly to the roof. He obviously spent quite a bit of time designing and fabricating it & I think it looks great.

What I would like to see is someone who can fabricate replacement rails or, at the very least, better replacement rail mounts (get rid of the plastic).

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Yeah, I would have looked to remove the OEM rails as well, simply for the fact that on the Xterra, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of space between the rails. They seemed to restrict themselves to a pretty narrow area. Not sure how much more room lies between the Pathfinder's rails (if any at all), but if it didn't give me quite a bit room then that, I'd have to consider some changes.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:08 pm

I have one I got from Cabela's. I think it was about 100$ and really nice. No need for the 350$ racks.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:26 am

Captain caveman wrote:I have one I got from Cabela's. I think it was about 100$ and really nice. No need for the 350$ racks.
You use it to transport wet gear after diving? Seems I wish we had one after every dive trip we go on, but was always skeptical about putting tanks up top. Could become pretty dangerous in a wreak if not secured down pretty tightly.

Go diving in FL a lot? I assume by your user name you cave dive, and there are quite a few springs and caves down this way.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:32 am

No I do not use it to carry scuba gear. Just camping gear.
My tanks for scuba weigh up to 150lbs out of the water so lifting them up is a no no. Here is a pic of what Technical diver look like.
Me
http://images2b.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 6948nu0mrj
John
http://images2b.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 6946nu0mrj

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/ ... 73118.jpeg
there is a recreational diver on the top of the pic but he has limitations of depth and time as to the diver on the bottom he can stay as long as he has air to complete the decompression. This is what I do and see.

http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/ ... 10136.jpeg

Pics are of the Great Lakes about 100-200ft

Tech diving is completely different then recreational diving. Anyone has question let me know. I have done cave diving but my passion is wreck diving in the Great lakes. Cold dark water is my thing

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Thats awsome, diving.. I have always wanted to do this,but never did..under water is COOL.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:43 pm

Pappy- Just wondering if you received the roof basket yet from the discount ramp folks?

I've been doing quite a bit of searching myself for a safari-style roof box and I've narrowed it down between the one you purchased and a similar model by BVG. I don't have factory crossbars, but was planning on mounting the basket to my Yakima bars I have currently installed.

Any updates would be GREAT! :D

THANKS!

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 pm

I still have my 100$ rack from Cabela's. I have it on my Pf all the time with no problem.

Pappy

Postby Pappy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Actually I did get it and I'm really happy with the thing. The weather has been so difficult up here, just haven't had the opportunity to mount it.....because I have a mine road mandatory amber light and buggy whip flag attached to the factory rack. I can't place the safari rack on without taking the safety stuff off first. This week it warming up so Friday looks like a good day. I promise pictures will follow.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”