Electric fan not comming on?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Mt545

Electric fan not comming on?

Postby Mt545 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:51 am

So im trying to figure out why my electric fan isnt comming on. The hose going to the thermostat from radiator doesnt seem to be getting hot either. I bled the hell out of the cooling system and replaced the thermostat. My truck isnt overheating, stays at the proper temp. The only time I herd the electric fan come on is when I was bleeding the system and the temp very slowly started going over normal. This all happend a few months ago. I have heat in the front but not rear. Am I looking at a plugged radiator? Bad water pump? Possibly a compression leak from headgasket? Its making me nervous lol.... any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

evgenk

Postby evgenk » Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 am

I believe the electric fan only comes on with A/C

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 03, 2017 12:08 pm

The electric fan is two speed and only comes on with the A/C or at certain temperatures. I noticed my fan wasn't coming on with the A/C. I turned on the A/C and checked for power and ground and confirmed there was power on the low speed wire and good grounds. I banged on the fan motor a few times with a hammer and it started working again. I purchased a Dorman replacement from Rockauto.com, but, of course, the fan is working properly, now. Now, the compressor clutch isn't working; apparently, the electromagnetic coil isn't working, so I ordered a new Maxsam A/C clutch assembly for $112. I'll replace the electric fan when I do the clutch...and front crank seal...and serpentine tensioner and belt...and whatever goes next... :evil:

Mt545

Postby Mt545 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:10 am

Thank you guys. Still have to figure out why the radiator hose is cool though. Its like the thermostats not opening? Just replaced it with OEM nissan one.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat May 06, 2017 4:03 pm

smj999smj wrote:The electric fan is two speed and only comes on with the A/C or at certain temperatures. I noticed my fan wasn't coming on with the A/C. I turned on the A/C and checked for power and ground and confirmed there was power on the low speed wire and good grounds. I banged on the fan motor a few times with a hammer and it started working again. I purchased a Dorman replacement from Rockauto.com, but, of course, the fan is working properly, now. Now, the compressor clutch isn't working; apparently, the electromagnetic coil isn't working, so I ordered a new Maxsam A/C clutch assembly for $112. I'll replace the electric fan when I do the clutch...and front crank seal...and serpentine tensioner and belt...and whatever goes next... :evil:
I had a similar issue in my 2010 rogue, compressor not turning on. I assumed it was due to a faulty low pressure switch as I replaced mine last year with a real cheap one from Ebay ($20 CAD).

But I was screwing around while the engine was running the other day and moved the wire going to the compressor and it suddenly kicked in. I'm assuming its a broken or loose wire. Might be worth checking...

Can you get the compressor to click when you do the BCM self check?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Not now, but when I initially hit it with a hammer, it would work in the self-test. I'm getting power to it, but it won't engage. Even tried running direct power to it but no good.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”