2017 pathfinder 23k miles shut down WHILE DRIVING last nite!

The new gas engine 3.5L v6, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

salukigirl

2017 pathfinder 23k miles shut down WHILE DRIVING last nite!

Postby salukigirl » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 am

I have a 2017 pathfinder, 4wd, bought new in january 2017. About 23k miles in it.

Last nite it completely shut down on me while i was driving on a busy 4-lane road. No warning, just stopped. I was thankfully able to barely coast to the shoulder without incident. Full tank of car, plenty of oil, battery fine.

Car would start and shut down, radio and lights and air conditioner would run but car just couldnt seem to get gas to the Engine. Had to get it towed. Tow truck driver was a mechanic for 9 years and thought it might be an issue with the fuel delivery system.

Nissan dealer can't find anything wrong today. Computer not returning any codes. I told them to try harder... i dont feel safe putting my kids back in that car.

Anyway else have this situation and what happened?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:26 am

On the previous generation of Pathfinders, there were similar occurrences due to faulty cam position sensors. They would fail when they got hot and cause a no-spark condition and not always trigger a code. Without being able to get a trouble code or be able to duplicate the problem, the dealer's hands are tied as far as doing anything under warranty as they couldn't guarantee that replacing those parts would fix the problem and open themselves up to further litigation if the vehicle owner every takes them to court under lemon laws. Of course, all you want is to have confidence that your vehicle doesn't break down on you, but that is the problem with intermittent issues that don't provide the mechanic with any information to go on to fix it.

IanH

Postby IanH » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:29 am

Yes on older Pathfinders the cam position sensors would throw a code and go to limp home mode, but not shut off.
The codes were there, took in under warrenty while doing this and said to many codes. wait for reoccurance.
Did this once or twice a summer from 2004 to 2018.
I replaced all sensors including crank, didnt fix.

I dont think this is your problem. Get a code reader so you can see if any codes are there or pending.

Good luck.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:21 pm

On VQ40DE engines, they would cause stalling, as well, and not trigger codes.

IanH

Postby IanH » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Interesting, did you check for pending codes?
my 2003 always threw multiple codes, cam sensors either 1 or both, and crank.

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Apples and oranges guys. The R52 is a completely different animal with a very different engine. We can speculate all we want but it would be helpful if the OP can tell us what the problem from last September ended up being. Doubtful though, since that was their ONLY post.

Return to “R52 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”