Hello Tranny cooler

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Facevedo17

Hello Tranny cooler

Postby Facevedo17 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Hey everyone don't know if this has been discuss before on this forum . Is anyone using a tranny cooler on their pathy's ? and what type do you guys recommend I don't have any performance mods , just looking to cool the tranny and avoid it overheating

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Hello Tranny cooler

Postby disallow » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Facevedo17 wrote:Hey everyone don't know if this has been discuss before on this forum . Is anyone using a tranny cooler on their pathy's ? and what type do you guys recommend I don't have any performance mods , just looking to cool the tranny and avoid it overheating
Well mine came with one from the factory....

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:27 am

I agree with Terry. The one from the factory is a good one to go with. :lol:

Facevedo17

Postby Facevedo17 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Hahah funny u mentioned I was wondering if that was a tranny cooler. I think my came from factory with it to. 05 pathfinder....if thats the case I'll just leave it ........thanks

thejean

Postby thejean » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:47 pm

I have an 08 V8, would it come with one?

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Our Pathfinders have a plethora of coolers. We have coolers for the transmission, engine oil, and power steering fluid.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:59 am

08Datsun wrote:Our Pathfinders have a plethora of coolers. We have coolers for the transmission, engine oil, and power steering fluid.
I guess the real question is, do these systems required modification or augmentation? No real way to know without some pretty specific temperature information. Hard to make that analysis without Nissan's design parameters for the cooling systems, ie top tank temps, flow, heat rejection of components, etc... I've never found this info anywhere. Anyone have it??

t

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:41 pm

disallow wrote: I guess the real question is, do these systems required modification or augmentation? No real way to know without some pretty specific temperature information.
Are there a number of people out there with overheating problems? If not, it's probably not something to worry about. I'll be towing 4000+ lbs in the AZ heat this summer so we'll see.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Sat May 09, 2009 4:25 pm

08Datsun wrote:Our Pathfinders have a plethora of coolers. We have coolers for the transmission, engine oil, and power steering fluid.
Is there a certain trim level that wouldn't have these coolers or do ALL PF's have them stock from Nissan?

Gonzo

bati

TRANS COOLER

Postby bati » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Hello- I recently had my trans replaced this week and I was wondering if this

is the factory transmission cooler.

Please let me know if it is or not.

If I need to buy a transmission cooler can you guys recommend a good trans cooler for my path.

thanks,

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: TRANS COOLER

Postby eieio » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 pm

bati wrote:Hello- I recently had my trans replaced this week and I was wondering if this
If I need to buy a transmission cooler can you guys recommend a good trans cooler for my path.
thanks,
it is one of the two factory transmission coolers
was your transmission replaced because of coolant contamination of the transmission oil?
is your internal transmission cooler (in the bottom of the radiator) by-passed?
or was your radiator replaced?

bati

Postby bati » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:45 am

eieio wrote:
bati wrote:Hello- I recently had my trans replaced this week and I was wondering if this
thanks,
it is one of the two factory transmission coolers
was your transmission replaced because of coolant contamination of the transmission oil?
is your internal transmission cooler (in the bottom of the radiator) by-passed?
or was your radiator replaced?
it was replaced bc of the contamination and my torque converter was not working.

I did the following bypass
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=
before the transmission repair. I haven't changed my radiator on my pathfinder the car does not overheat.

do I need to replace the radiator to avoid my transmission from messing up again?

do I need to put transmission cooler besides the one posted on the pic?

thanks for any feeback.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:38 am

bati wrote:it was replaced bc of the contamination and my torque converter was not working.

before the transmission repair. I haven't changed my radiator on my pathfinder the car does not overheat.
do I need to replace the radiator to avoid my transmission from messing up again?
no, the only reason i can think of to replace the radiator is if you want to restore the internal radiator cooler back into the system.
under most circumstances, the external cooler is sufficient by itself (provided it was thoroughly cleaned and flushed of any and all contamination and debris from the original trans failure).
for heavy towing jobs, it might be a good idea to have the internal cooler, or add an additional external cooler.
there are many attempts and recommendations in this forum regarding additional aftermarket coolers and/or fans to enhance cooling (use the "search" feature).
bati wrote:
where to mount an additional external cooler has been my big question!
two problems that i can see mounting it next to the one in your picture:
1) the power steering cooler is in the way
2) blocking air flow to the main radiator by having the additional cooler in front of the left side of the radiator
i, too, would like to know if there are any other solutions to this problem.
bati wrote:
thanks for any feeback.
You're Welcome! :wink:
BTW: are you beyond the mileage for extended warranty repair for this situation?
if not, a dealer would have replaced the transmission and installed a new radiator...........
info here: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=20

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:33 pm

eieio wrote:
bati wrote:it was replaced bc of the contamination and my torque converter was not working.

no, the only reason i can think of to replace the radiator is if you want to restore the internal radiator cooler back into the system.
under most circumstances, the external cooler is sufficient by itself (provided it was thoroughly cleaned and flushed of any and all contamination and debris from the original trans failure).
for heavy towing jobs, it might be a good idea to have the internal cooler, or add an additional external cooler.
there are many attempts and recommendations in this forum regarding additional aftermarket coolers and/or fans to enhance cooling (use the "search" feature).
bati wrote:
where to mount an additional external cooler has been my big question!
two problems that i can see mounting it next to the one in your picture:
1) the power steering cooler is in the way
2) blocking air flow to the main radiator by having the additional cooler in front of the left side of the radiator
i, too, would like to know if there are any other solutions to this problem.
bati wrote:
thanks for any feeback.
I'm installing a B&M Hi-Tek cooler 70297 tomorrow... will be taking off my Shrockworks bumper to install a winch and will be installing the additional cooler since I'll have the massive bumper off. I'll take pics of how I mount it. Stay tuned...

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 am

Following up to my previous post, I tried to add another external transmission cooler (B&M Hi-Tek Cooler 70297) while keeping the stock external cooler over the weekend, but as eieio and others have noted, there isn’t a whole lot of available space to add another cooler without moving/re-routing the power-steering cooler, horn, etc. Perhaps it’s possible with a smaller cooler, but the 70297 is the exact same size as the stock cooler and is the same design (fin and plate):

Anyhow, I ended up removing the stock cooler and replacing it with the B&M cooler. You could probably just add on a fan to the OEM cooler and save some money, but I like shiny new things and didn’t want it to go to waste. I didn’t have time to wire it up but that’s this evening’s project. I’ll post more pictures later…

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”