Pathfinder vs Explorer

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

kasrhp

Pathfinder vs Explorer

Postby kasrhp » Fri May 15, 2009 6:20 am

Currently, I own a 2004 F-150 Lariat supercrew. My wife is pregnant, so I am looking to get something safer and more usable(dont really use the "truck" part much). Im looking for a 4x4 with all of the safety features available. I think the choice has come down to two vehicles. the 06 and up explorer limited's, and the Pathfinder LE's.
I am moving to Georgia in a little while and like the 4 auto for the rough weather and icy winters. Also wouldnt mind having a little fun with it.
They both seem like pretty comparable vehicles. Can anyone pull me one way or the other? Any vehicle more reliable than the other? More expensive to maintain and repair? More comfortable? Better off road etc?
Thanks a lot for your input. Just tough decision between the two.

Also, with the middle row, can the center seat recline like the other two? I test drove an LE yesterday and the dealer(Nissan) didnt seem like he had a clue. The two side seats reclined further than the middle.

Thanks for your help.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri May 15, 2009 8:22 am

i did alot of research before i bought mine. the pathfinder is a very reliable and is a low maintenance vehicle . i know a few people that own pathfinders and they have not had any major problems with them. the difference between the pathfinder and the explorer that i noticed is that the explorer has a cushier ride when compared to the pathfinder and other foreign suv's. the one thing i do know is that everyone that i knew that had a explorer always complained about how the vehicle gave them non stop problems.

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:20 am

In my '08 Path LE I do believe (believe!) that the middle 2nd row seat will recline some...there is a strap to pull to adjust the seat back. I say that without 100% sure-ness but i do believe it will...I'm pretty sure when someone was riding with me the other day shortly after I got it they said 'what does this do?' and pulled the strap and then said 'oh it's the seat recliner!' so...I'm pretty sure it will adjust some...someone correct me if I'm wrong, though...

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 am

I searched for about a year before I decided on the Pathfinder. best decision I made. I feel it has a nice ride, plenty of room for the wife and I with two large dogs. power and towing is great. a little soft in the back but a set of 90 dollar airbags fixes that.and the fuel mileage is not bad either, I get about 17.5 average. when I compared I felt that the Pathfinder gave me the most value for the money. real reliable also.

albaniandude

Postby albaniandude » Fri May 15, 2009 10:10 am

I had a Exploder for a rental and it made me realize how sweet of a deal my 2008 Pathfinder Le V8 was.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri May 15, 2009 10:52 am

albaniandude wrote:I had a Exploder for a rental and it made me realize how sweet of a deal my 2008 Pathfinder Le V8 was.
i also had one for a rental also. drove from port st. lucie to gainesville. the whole trip i was worried about it breaking down on me and leaving me miles from the nearest exit. with the path i drove from miami to jacksonville, and to gainesville and i wanted to drive even further. the only limitation was my vacation days.

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Fri May 15, 2009 11:25 am

Stick with the Pathfinder. More reliable, and dependable, and not as high maintenance as the Explorer. I drove from Philly to Boston this past winter, and the whole trip, the ride was smooth and the Pathfinder felt solid on the road. I also got very good gas mileage too. About 21 mpg on the highway.

AZ_Path

Re: Pathfinder vs Explorer

Postby AZ_Path » Fri May 15, 2009 11:37 am

Welcome to the forum kasrhp. What year model Pathfinder are you considering? In regards to safety, I personally wanted the Pathfinder to have the side airbag package. You can see those results at http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=390.

Nissan made this standard in 2009, but prior, it is an option. The side airbags improved the side impact safety rating to "Good." The picutres and video on the IIHS website are very helpful. It looks like they have information for the Explorer as well, http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=325.

The Pathfinder is rated better overall, however the Explorer has better leg protection for front offset impacts. You may also want to research roof strength. As I recall, Nissan performs better in this area also.

I'm not sure where in GA you are moving too, but I lived in Northern Atlanta for 9 years and there really isn't any rough winter weather that you need 4x4 for. I can recall two days out of 9 years there where the weather was bad enough that we didn't want to drive on the roads.

And yes, the middle second row seat does recline. Just pull the strap located at your right hip if your seated and it will recline some.

My 2 cents is go with the Pathfinder. My family has owned 5 Nissan Vehicles and 4 Ford vehicles over the past years. Our reliability has been much better with Nissan and the vehicles have held their value much better also. Good luck with your search.

kasrhp

Postby kasrhp » Fri May 15, 2009 1:58 pm

I was looking at the 05 Pathfinder to the 06 explorer. The Path was pretty fun to drive. I am wanting the 4x4 to have a little fun with, but like the option with the 4 auto on both trucks. GA can get a little icey sometimes, usually fine, but why not get 4x4 with either suv. Glad to know that the middle seat will recline like the others. The guy at the dealership had no clue.

I am looking at the LE's with black interior. Im pretty sure the side and cannopy airbags come standard, as well as traction and stability control. Thanks for those links. Always glad to know.

I love my Ford truck and havent had any issues. But I have seen the resale price drop out from under(I guess when you get a great deal from a dealer with everybody else, itll do that).

You guys say its like nothing to maintain, are the maintenance schedules just placed far apart?

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat May 16, 2009 6:29 am

I have a 08 Pathy, 4.0 LE, Charcoal leather, 4x4 and I Love it, most comfy vehicle I have ever driven, not to mention I think it is a awsome looking ride. I like the looks also. I had considered and was looking at the Ford Escape but went with the Pathy cause of Quality reliability, performance and features, Yes I paid alot more$ than if I would have purchased the Ford. I have no regrets. There are maintenance schedules to adhere to, nothing out of the normal. GAS up the Pathy, Drive and enjoy. :D The 4.0 really moves out. I can only imagine how the Pathy performs with the V-8. Faaaast..

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:22 am

I've owned two Explorers before I purchased my 06 Pathfinder.I can't really say I had many problems with either of the the Explorers but I've had 0 problems with the Pathfinder.Overall I think the Pathfinder is a better vehicle.The Nissan engines are absolutely bulletproof.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 pm

kasrhp wrote:Glad to know that the middle seat will recline like the others.
The middle row, middle seat does NOT recline in the 06 LE and I don't believe it does for the 05's and 07's either based on previous threads. Maybe that was changed for 08 and later as those who do have this option own that year. You can pull the strap to unlock it and it will notch back just a little, but it will re-lock in the upright position when pressure is released from the seat back. The outer seats are able to recline.

albaniandude

Postby albaniandude » Sat May 16, 2009 1:34 pm

blink32 wrote:
The middle row, middle seat does NOT recline in the 06 LE and I don't believe it does for the 05's and 07's either based on previous threads. Maybe that was changed for 08 and later as those who do have this option own that year. You can pull the strap to unlock it and it will notch back just a little, but it will re-lock in the upright position when pressure is released from the seat back. The outer seats are able to recline.
My 2008 Pathfinder LE V8 the midle row does recline a little.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat May 16, 2009 3:49 pm

blink32 wrote:
You're spot-on. In the '05-'07, the center seat DOES NOT recline. I have an '06 LE. and that's just the way it is. The reclining center is an '08 and forward feature.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:08 am

Good to get some clarification on that. I could definitely see that being a much desired option if I had a full load of passengers often.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”