TPMS Reset

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

se7en

TPMS Reset

Postby se7en » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi,

A week ago one of the tire pressures was not displaying on screen.
Went to costco to change it but they would not saying all 4 TPMS units are working - they had a wireless tool that they take close to each tire and sure enough there was a read on each...
Did the TPMS reset with a piece of wire (6x grounding) and now all 4 tires show stars - no read... The yellow tire pressure dash light is solid...

What's the fix here?

Thanks,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Tapping the ground 6x does not reset the system, but put it into ID register mode. You have to adjust the tire pressures as follows: LF-36 psi, RF-33 psi, RR-30 psi and LR-27 psi. Turn the key on and ground the TPMS diagnostic connector 6 times in 10 seconds to put into ID register mode. The TPMS warning light will flash steadily to indicate ID mode and then the vehicle must be driven over 25 MPH for several miles until the light goes solid, indicating the sensors have been registered. FYI, sometimes a weak sensor battery can create intermittent issues, especially when the weather is cold. Once the vehicle is driven and the air in the tire heats up, the sensor(s) can start working, again. Note: if one or more of the sensor batteries are weak or dead, the ID process may not complete.

se7en

Postby se7en » Tue May 14, 2019 8:33 am

Well i did the 6 time tap over and over but all i am getting is the dash light and the screen shows stars... Did about 10 miles on it no change...
Is there a tool to buy on amazon to plug in and see? I have an OBDII reader but the app on my phone does not show anything about TPMS or tire pressure...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 pm

You would need a scan tool that has TPMS capabilities. I use an Autel Maxicheck MX808 which can do that, as well as a number of other things including an all sytem code scan, data monitoring and graphing, idle air volume and steering wheel position relearning, etc. I paid $365 for that from Toolfetch.com with a discount code a couple of years ago. When working with TPMS systems, I also use a Kent-Moore trigger tool to activate the sensors; I paid $50 for that, but you can get similar tools for around $35 online. The tool will show if a sensor is registered and can put the TPMS system is register mode, as well as read codes and show live data (tire pressures) from the sensors. What is doesn't do is tell you if a sensor signal is weak or dead, but there are TPMS tools that can do that.

se7en

Postby se7en » Thu May 16, 2019 4:35 pm

SMJ,

Thank you! I looked at the costs and decided that it is cheaper to pay Napa Autopro $70CDN and they made it all work. Not sure why the first TPMS malfunctioned... But it is working now.

Thank you!

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Just did this. Thanks smj for the write up.

I did it the first time with the paper clip in the back of the connector. Didn’t work.
Re-tried with a thin paper clip on the front of the connector and it worked. Had to drive around for a few mins though.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:17 pm

I was skeptical. The PO told me they didn't work. The dealer told me it's impossible, because they're Xterra rims. But I followed the instruction and drove less than 2km before the TPMS light went out. I checked the pressures on the display, and they were all there. There have only been stars since I bought it two weeks ago.

I would post a picture, but I can't figure out how lol, and the Avatar limits are too restrictive.

Thanks!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:17 pm

Spatula wrote:I was skeptical. The PO told me they didn't work. The dealer told me it's impossible, because they're Xterra rims. But I followed the instruction and drove less than 2km before the TPMS light went out. I checked the pressures on the display, and they were all there. There have only been stars since I bought it two weeks ago.

I would post a picture, but I can't figure out how lol, and the Avatar limits are too restrictive.

Thanks!!
It's funny how they say it won't work even though the manual procedure is listed in the Nissan factory service manual. As far as posting pics, you need to use an image host site to post the pic, then copy and paste the link into your forum post. I used to use Photobucket when it was free, but now I use Imgur, which is also free, and it works much easier and faster.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”