Fuel gauge issues

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

Fuel gauge issues

Postby jspitz » Wed May 27, 2009 8:04 am

I had the fuel gauge sending unit replaced in September under goodwill w/ me pitching in 50% of the labor rate due to P0455 and 463 codes being thrown. At the time I was seeing very slight irregularity w/ <20 miles left on a tank of gas - no big deal except for the SES light on the dash.

All seemed fine from September until about 2 weeks ago when I fill the tank (key out of the ignition), start the Pathy and it still reads completely empty and slooowly begins to climb as I drive. After a while, it reads full. Next tank, same thing. Full tank yesterday, same thing. 60 minutes of driving later and the gauge is back to full.

Kinda smells like Nissan hasn't fixed the sender, but is just replacing them.

Any thoughts? The car needs to go in for the 52.5k oil/filter change. Maybe I'll leave the car and ask the dealer to fix it. I'm hoping they have a 12mo/12k warranty on their "fix".

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed May 27, 2009 10:26 am

i work for honda and the dealer offer a 12 month 12k miles on parts and labor. nissan should also, you might want to give them a call just to verify that they do.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:38 am

well...my gauge started acting the same way about 3 months ago. Fuel level gauge would work, but the DTE would reset and flash. Then the level gauge would slowly get stuck. Now yesterday after filling up (and resetting the trip/odo/mpg) everything goes wonky and the level gauge shows E, the fuel light is on, and DTE is zero (Engine Service light is on too).

Check the engine codes with my OBDII computer and of course it's something about fuel sender sensor input high (or something like that).

Does anyone have a link on replacing this part? Also, it sounds like this is a pretty common occurance with Pathys around 55k+ in mileage.

How many others are having this issue....

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:49 am

Ralph,

Nissan has a service bulletin on this, but it makes specific mention of MIL DTC codes P0461/2/3 - Reference NTB07-069a. Check the forums at nissanhelp.com (registration required) for the full bulletin. The issue seemed to be widely discussed on the Xterra and Frontier boards too, and the parts are apparently ordered enough that Courtesyparts.com bundles them together for about $90.

Details on replacement are in the service manual stickied at the top of this (R51) forum. See chapter FL and look at the section titled "FUEL LEVEL SENSOR UNIT, FUEL FILTER, AND FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY. Looks like a lot of time, but hopefully not too difficult a job. At the rate I'm going I'll replace this thing several more times before I retire the truck. Beat on your dealer for some Nissan North America "good will" if they don't offer it.

BTW - after a 4th or 5th consecutive tank refill, my fuel guage acted normally on a fill-up. It should be another few weeks before I take the pathy back in for an oil/filter change. I'll certainly mention the issue to them, but probably won't push for diagnosis and replacement if the next several fills go fine.

graftoon

Postby graftoon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:13 pm

my fuel sensor went the other day its doing the same thing you mentioned, brought it to dealer confirmed it was fuel sensor, having them replace fuel filter while there servicing my sensor, its covered under warrenty wonder how much it costs to replace without warrenty?

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:01 pm

Okay now i am not freaking out as bad reading these stories. I have almost 60,000 mi on my path and the i was filling it up today and the gauge was not working properly and i have been having issues with the DTE part of the computer going in and out. Does anyone know what the cost of getting this fixed?

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:07 pm

if they take it apart again, ask to have a look at it, i'd bet anything the last guy that did it, let the lock tabs on the tank guage into the plastic of your sender/pump asmb. If this is the case, get them to replace the asmb. The parts are new and different. If anyone needs help doing the job, i can walk you through it. i've literally done hundreds by now

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 pm

I'm just getting this fuel level sensor issue at 51,400 on the odo. I can't find the TSB in http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.cfm

How much is the stealership asking to fix this issue?

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:05 pm

i don't know if you'll find tsb's there, maybe just recalls. This is a job you can totally do yourself. just make sure you get the updated parts

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks Tech,

I just called the stealerships today and they quoted $450 to fix the unit. :shock:

I'm reading the manual and it looks like a lot of work. I'm going to write a letter to NissanUSA and hopefully they'll respond back with "no charge fee".

If not, I'll ask my friend mechanic to do it for half the quoted price.

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:29 pm

no prob cliff_jumper,
if you need any help, lemme know. It seems daunting, but you can TOTALLY do it yourself. Odds are if you talk to NISSAN USA, they'll come back with a 33/33/34 split between you the delear and nissan. There is a very recently updated part that many dealers don't even stock yet, so be sure not to get the same part. If you need, PM me and I can send you more info

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Tech wrote:no prob cliff_jumper,
if you need any help, lemme know. It seems daunting, but you can TOTALLY do it yourself. Odds are if you talk to NISSAN USA, they'll come back with a 33/33/34 split between you the delear and nissan. There is a very recently updated part that many dealers don't even stock yet, so be sure not to get the same part. If you need, PM me and I can send you more info
Per your request - sending you a PM on this also. Today I filled up, the gauge stayed at 1/2 tank, then rose slowly over the next hour of driving.

What is the new part number for this? I'm pretty sure I can do this job myself, but it'll be on a weekend when the parts department is closed, so I want to be sure I get the part number right.

Thank you!

Tech

Postby Tech » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:32 am

i belive the part # is a "Z" instead of the previous "S", i will check tomorrow AM and post - PM also sent

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Thank you, I'm looking forward to hearing from you so I can get started on this project.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:10 am

sender p/n ending in zz00a is what you're after, don't forget to get the o-ring (packing) too

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”