1988 Nissan Pathfinder: Almost new from the inside out:$6419

Member postings to buy/sell anything, from parts to full automobiles. Commercial vendors, ask the Admins first for permission to post.

Moderator: volvite

Hilali

1988 Nissan Pathfinder: Almost new from the inside out:$6419

Postby Hilali » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:42 pm

We bought the 284684-miles car for my teen-aged son in 2009. The car has been good for him. It’s a tank, solid, 4-wheel drive, lots of room for hauling stuff, and, yes, it will get to 60 mph. The trusty PF won’t do burn-outs. The car is a wonderful teenager-speed-impulse modifier.

I know you’re probably thinking I must be nuts to expect anyone would pay $6419 for the vehicle. I would be if the whole vehicle was 31 years old with 300,000+ miles, but it isn’t. That’s where my son and I got a lot carried away (over $29K carried away - I still have the receipts.) over the decade of our ownership. The “now new†car actually has 36968 (not a typo) miles since we bought it (short commutes to work, no long trips).

First the transmission, the one with about 290,000 miles on it, went out in February 2010. I wanted to sell the vehicle but thought, “Who’d buy a car without a working transmission?†So I put a new, rebuilt transmission in, then thought, “I’ve put more money into the car than I could ever get out of it,†so we kept the car.

The brakes needed some servicing, so we replaced all of them, not just the shoes and pads but also the calipers. We kept renewing the car from the inside out.

Dick Cepak tires, the ones with the super-deep tread, replaced the standard tires. The engine turned its last rpm at 311299 miles, and since we already had too much money into the car and “no one would pay much for a car without an engine,†we replaced the engine in February 2016 with a newly rebuilt version of the original (Nissan no longer makes new engines for the 1988 PF.)

The window motors needed help, so we replaced them. The dashboard vents and temperature control panel bezel were cracked. My son found ones without cracks. The tachometer, speedometer, and lights on the instrument cluster went on vacation at 317418 miles (see the photo of the replaced instrument cluster) and didn’t return. Our ace mechanics at G&L Auto Repair, found a replacement (The odometer registered 215222 miles. The odometer now reads 219756.) so now, all the gauges and lights work as intended. The dual trailer receptacles accept round and flat electrical trailer plugs.

Since the AC never worked when I bought the car, replacing the engine seemed like a good time to make sure everything else under the hood also worked, so we replaced the AC unit and now get the cold air with the push of the console button.

The new engine needed a new distributor, a few hoses and belts, new spark plugs, fuel injectors, and a wire harness to go with the new radiator. The spare tire gate rattled a bunch, so my son found a duplicate that’s a lot quieter. He also added a luggage rack, a LED light bar, LED headlamps, and bright backup lamps that together light up more than the street ahead. We added stereo wiring, new radio, new speakers, new amplifier, new door hinge bushings, new strut rod bushings, new ball joints, and new suspension stabilizer bars.

My son likes clean cars without dents, so the PF body is in really good shape.

The photos in this add show the cosmetics of the car. We have the receipts for the parts and labor to confirm for you the repairs and upgrades that are tougher to show in photos.

The PF has been a fixture around our home for more than a decade. It has a bunch of memories rolling inside. Buy the chariot and create some of yours.

I have many photos of the inside, outside, and new and replaced instrument clusters (showing the odometers) for our Pathfinder. Please contact me with your interest, and I'll gladly send those photos to you.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:50 am

Wow sounds like an interesting time capsule..

Please feel free to post up pics!

Hilali

1988 Nissan Pathfinder: Almost new from the inside out

Postby Hilali » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:17 pm

palmerwmd:
Thank you for your interest in my Pathfinder.

After a bunch of searching and experimenting, I figured out how to load photos onto the Google Photos website. The address appears below.

If you're serious about buying my Pathfinder, I'll gladly scan some of the receipts to confirm I replaced the transmission and engine. As I mentioned in my advertisement, I have many of the receipts for my investment in the vehicle.

Ken

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP ... kQrd?hl=en[/img]

Return to “Classifieds for Pathfinders and Pathfinder Accessories”