Another V8 brake upgrade.

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

CRC11007

Another V8 brake upgrade.

Postby CRC11007 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Finally ordered the parts and did the V8 brake upgrade. The rotors are at least an inch larger in diameter. I went with AC Delco professional calipers w/brackets, Raybestos rotors, and Akebono ceramic pads, all from RockAuto.com. I got the Goodridge stainless brake lines from TireRack.com. Rear brakes were changed out with generic ceramic pads from Autozone and Raybestos rotors. I bled it roughly at home, then had my local shop flush the whole system with DOT4 fluid. I have roughly 100 miles on it, and the brakes are bedding in nicely. Much stronger bite and stiffer pedal feel. I figure roughly $500 for the front (including lines), then add $100 for the rear and the fluid flush. My confidence level is much greater now knowing the upgrade is complete. Highly recommended!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:47 pm

thanks for letting us know!!! :D

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:53 pm

I should of thought about a BBK before I purchased new wheels for my Pathy kept 16" to run the same tire now im stuck with them till i get bigger rims.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 am

I did the BBK upgrade last month and can confirm that 17" rims clear no prob.
Still bedding on the new pads so no update on a bigger bite or not.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:10 am

I finally did mine and will be working on a write-up with pics in the near future. I will say with the EBC brakes and bigger rotors, stopping performance has increased a great deal! It really feels like the brakes are grabbing, now, rather than just the typical "soft mush" of the factory brakes!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:24 pm

Thinking of doing this over the summer. Last two things that irritate me with the Pathfinder are the brakes (especially in DC stop and go commuting) and my squishy tall sidewalls. Want to get 18" OEM wheels off eBay and some better brakes!

My rotors are only 3K miles old right now, but I'm so tired of my truck eating them that I go seriously easy on my brakes. I find myself limiting them to short/hard efforts wherever possible, and letting off of them so the truck creeps a little bit at stops to try to put off warping. And I retorque the lug nuts pretty regularly.

My 2001 Sentra SE braked better but also suffered from undersized rotors. It would eat through them pretty quickly, especially when the lug nuts were even slightly unevenly torqued from a tire shop or something. Seems to be a Nissan disease...

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”